wall plug wiring

Page 2 of 4
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 15:24:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Seems like a good idea. OTOH, it will deprive the next owner of the exciting electrical experiences people used to have.
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 10:11:47 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Does switching both wires increase the chance of GFCI's tripping?
I'm picturing a situation where there's a lag between the opening of hot vs. the neutral. Wouldn't the GFCI sense that?
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 08:17:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Nope. Dr Kirchoff says the current in a circuit is equal everywhere if there is only one path. When the first switch opens, the current stops.
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:58:26 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1

That is only for steady state. When a switch first opens or closes there is a short time before the current reaches that point depending on how much inductance or capacitance is in the circuit. As the electricity will travel around the earth about 7 times in one second there is a small but usually too small of a time for most simple circuits to mater.
I doubt that any GFCI or arc sense type of breaker would be designed fast enough to detect that.
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 12:41:24 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

The balance will still be the same.
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 12:38:19 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Another way of looking at this would be if there would be a problem with a race between two switches opening near simultaneously, one on the hot, one on the neutral, then why isn't there a problem right now, where you have only one switch opening, with no switch at all on the neutral? There are also 240V GFCI where circuits can have a switch on each wire and they don't trip. Like you say, the electrodynamics of any of those effects are way below what a GFCI is looking at.
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 08:17:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:43:02 -0600, "dangerous dan"

If nobody ever did anything dumb, we could eliminate about half of the electric code.
On 01/31/2016 09:43 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Have you checked youtube?

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 3:13:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What socket has a shell? WTF?
On 1/31/16 6:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:

This kind :
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH04SEP_REPTBL_02.JPG
On 01/31/2016 05:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Table lamps. My grandmother used to paint porcelain, and teach others. Many of these were older people with cataracts in their eyes. That requires a lot of lamps to see the fine detail.
BTW, she used an old porch that had been enclosed. There were no 120V receptacles there except the one by the kiln. So, there were a lot of (18 gauge) extension cords too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I thought the ribbed was for Her pleasure?
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 3:36:35 PM UTC-5, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

I wear them inside out so they are ripped for *my* pleasure.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

I use radial reinforced.
--
Tekkie

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:04:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

the wire insulation jacket it's a different kind of "RIB" - more of a "ridge"
On 1/31/2016 12:24 AM, dangerous dan wrote:

* the hot wire goes to the smaller slot in the socket. Less likely to have foreign objects stuck in the smaller slot. (Think kids with metal objects.) * With polarized plugs, the hot goes up to the switch. So when the device is turned off, the wires in the device are not powered.
Safety reasons, for sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young