Wall boxes for sconces

I was in the process of mounting the boxes for sconce lights and I noticed that the boxes are rather imprecise and difficult to mount. I'm reasonably sure I didn't have cheap boxes and when I looked around I only found them in this style, or some facimile thereof.

That's a good estimate of what I figured would work. NOPE, the nails are difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer non-metallic, as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to the tasks.

Reply to
Eigenvector

You can use bar boxes, which are more easily adjustable

RBM

When I installed a wall lighting fixture I used the rectangular "J-box" usually used for outlets and switches.

Reply to
John Gilmer

You're talking about those fan-stabilizer bar boxes. I wasn't sure if those would fit a normal wall stud spacing or not

Eigenvector

Those don't have screws holes for the mounting plate though(???)

Reply to
Eigenvector

See if you can find these at a local electrical distributor:

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

No, I'm referring to standard fixture mounting bar boxes. They're made for

16 and 24 inch openings

RBM

Seemed to me that the "mounting plate" (actually a steel strip about 3/4" wide) had holes or slots to mount on the J-box. The mounting arrangements for light fixtures are pretty flexible. There are TWO common sizes of round boxes, for example. If you already have the fixture in hand you can quickly check whether a J-box screw spacing is OK. If you don't have a J-box lying about, just take the cover plate off anyout and measure the screw spacing.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Those look pretty slick, can't find a distributor in Canada though, pity.

PV

Reply to
PV

Ev:

I like steel boxes, and would use a 4" octagon with a TS bracket, but that's another story.

The regular Carlon boxes can certainly be used, but perhaps a more rigid plastic box like the Carlon Super Blue would deform less and hold its position better:

I have used the device boxes in this line. They are very nice (for plastic boxes). I'm just a material bigot, it seems.

To help your box position properly, try cutting a small square of your drywall, then holding it against the stud, and holding the box flush with that.

Tap both nails in a bit before driving either one all the way home.

I assume that this is all new work.

Cordially yours: G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Well I went with the wall brace style. They seem to hold fine and having two locations to mount helps me keep it level.

Reply to
Eigenvector