Wall boxes for sconces

I was in the process of mounting the boxes for sconce lights and I noticed that the boxes are rather imprecise and difficult to mount. I'm reasonably sure I didn't have cheap boxes and when I looked around I only found them in this style, or some facimile thereof.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdq005-223-B620H&lpage=none
That's a good estimate of what I figured would work. NOPE, the nails are difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even lay flat against the stud.
Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer non-metallic, as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to the tasks.
You can use bar boxes, which are more easily adjustable

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdq005-223-B620H&lpage=none

No, I'm referring to standard fixture mounting bar boxes. They're made for 16 and 24 inch openings

When I installed a wall lighting fixture I used the rectangular "J-box" usually used for outlets and switches.

Those don't have screws holes for the mounting plate though(???)

Seemed to me that the "mounting plate" (actually a steel strip about 3/4" wide) had holes or slots to mount on the J-box. The mounting arrangements for light fixtures are pretty flexible. There are TWO common sizes of round boxes, for example. If you already have the fixture in hand you can quickly check whether a J-box screw spacing is OK. If you don't have a J-box lying about, just take the cover plate off anyout and measure the screw spacing.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:13:43 -0800, "Eigenvector"

See if you can find these at a local electrical distributor:
http://www.smartboxinc.com /
HTH,
Paul

Those look pretty slick, can't find a distributor in Canada though, pity.
PV
Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdq005-223-B620H&lpage=none> The nails are

Ev:
I like steel boxes, and would use a 4" octagon with a TS bracket, but that's another story.
The regular Carlon boxes can certainly be used, but perhaps a more rigid plastic box like the Carlon Super Blue would deform less and hold its position better:
http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Zip%20Box%20Blue%20Outlet%20and%20Switch%20Boxes&imgY&tn=1
I have used the device boxes in this line. They are very nice (for plastic boxes). I'm just a material bigot, it seems.
To help your box position properly, try cutting a small square of your drywall, then holding it against the stud, and holding the box flush with that.
Tap both nails in a bit before driving either one all the way home.
I assume that this is all new work.
Cordially yours: G P

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Zip%20Box%20Blue%20Outlet%20and%20Switch%20Boxes&imgY&tn=1
Well I went with the wall brace style. They seem to hold fine and having two locations to mount helps me keep it level.