Vinyl Windows - Cost ???

I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with vinyl custom-made argon low-e. I don't know pricing - can anyone help with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4' x 4' opening ? Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and it's a PITA to get quotes.

Reply to
roger61611

After people give you pricing, what will you do next?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then I will get quotes. I have one quote but I don't know how to gauge it, it seems higher than what I've read in this forum. I don't want to drag other companies out here and waste their time and mine without having some info on my side.

Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio door. Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a guesstimate.

Reply to
roger61611

Windows and doors are not made to a standard or made equal, there is the cheap stuff thats cheap, and then the good stuff that insulates, seals wind and lasts.

might start you in a direction to learn about what you want. Midwest-cold winters, hot summers, the best glass will pay for itself. Or I can give you joe hacks number he will do it for 100, they wont leak till the check clears.

Reply to
ransley

lol

i think i'll just get more quotes, there is a TON of variation

roger61611

Custom vinyl replacements ran me about $400 installed. Priced was comparable among all quotes for top line window (self- cleaning!!) House was cooler in summer and far less drafty in winter. I'm having more done soon. Costly but well worth it!!

Reply to
bigjimpack

If saving energy is your goal then there are quite a few ratings you need to learn, to compare, U value, Cdf, Shg, air infiltration and more. Consumer reports has rated windows as well, Loewen Architectural Services has the highest R value of glass that I know of, and glass for specific purposes. You have alot to learn about glass before you buy.

Reply to
ransley

i use window world for my rental houses . they install a 2 pane with low e glass for 220.00 . i dont remember what the argon would add to it. but the ones i get from them are as good as the 500.00 ones other outfits offered and better that the 350.00 ones from home depot..

ds549

$300

S. Barker

wrote

I've heard of them and while they arent the worst outfit, the workmanship varies wildly with the franchise.

Also they arent energystar (or none of the ones I saw were) in that pricerange.

When I got new windows, I got top quality and it's paid off in lower heating bills, presumably will in lower coolong as well come high summer.

Reply to
cshenk

About right, yes. Might be a little more. His bigger window will be about

600$, maybe 700$
Reply to
cshenk

Between $1000 and $4000 depending on brand and quality. If you are buying something that important to your house, why would you go to a big box store and take a risk?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If its not energy star rated then you are just fooling yourself on it being equal to a 500 window, you realy get what you pay for, its a competitive business.

Reply to
ransley

The company i have purchased from 3 times sells low-e, argon, doublehung, foamfilled frames for $300. This includes any size as long as one width and one height added together are less than 101".

oh, ya, and that's installed.

Reply to
S. Barker

i seriously wonder how long any gas remains sealed in?

windows move, shake, and are subject to wide temperature changes.

Reply to
hallerb

You could always try changing it to a french door with sidelites. Lou

Reply to
Lou

I second the Window World recommendation, I had them do mine, a very good job at half the cost of competing estimates. Happy customer.

nick hull

Man, I thought of that last night when I was staring at the thing - it's a 100" opening, just ridiculously big. I can't stand sliding patio doors, they always seem to muck up somehow.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Reply to
roger61611

You can sometimes judge a company by what they ask *you* when you ask for a quote.

How long will you be remaining the house? What's your house worth? How much insulation is in the rest of the house? Will you want to open the screens or just the windows? How much glass area are you willing to give up compared to what you have today?

If they just walk up and offer you a price for new windows, then they're just selling a product as opposed to solving a problem.

And for every question they ask you, ask them why they want to know. A clear concise explanation of why they want that information will help you judge the quality of the contractor.

Ask them about the construction of the windows - welded seams vs. mechanical fasteners, metal shoes vs. plastic, removable sashes vs. just tiltable, full screens vs half, movable screens vs fixed, etc

If they can't answer those questions, then the proper word is "Next!"

There's a ton of factors to consider and the way the contractor responds to your questions should lead you towards someone your comfortable working with.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Have windows on the sides and smaller french doors.

Reply to
ransley