Vibration Damping for DWV Hangers???

Home repair folks,

The plumber did a wonderful job installing our new sump pump and hung up the DWV pipe with plastic J-hook hangers solidly to the basement ceiling joists. When water flows thru the pipe, the whole floor vibrates and is very noisy upstairs in the bedrooms. The pump itself is fairly quiet. Just the pipe vibration is noisy.

Is there any such thing as a vibration damping pipe hanger? Maybe something like a tailpipe hanger for a care, with a rubber section between two clamps, only made for PVC pipe.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike

Switch to cast iron

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Those tailpipe hangers for cars are just pieces of old tires. You can get an old tire for free almost anywhere. Cut strips from the sidewalls (not the steel belted tread). A saber saw will cut them. Make the strips long enough to go from the joist around the pipe and back to the joist. Screw the strip of tire to the joist with a washer under the screw head. Drill a hole in the rubber strip just above the pipe and put a bolt thru with washers on both ends. Put a nut on the bolt and tighten. Use as many of these as there are plastic hangers. Remove the plastic hangers and enjoy the quiet pump. Total cost, a few screws, bolts nuts and washers, and maybe a saber saw blade. Probably about the same price as a Big Mac, and much less fattening.

Gene

Reply to
genebradley

Gene that is excellent suggestion thanks I don't need any of that but I will definitely try to remember that Tony

Reply to
Tony

instead of doing that, cut a car floor mat up. Easier to cut, using only a utility knife.

Or, what I would do is put a section of rubber hose in the plastic pipe near the pump. Most likely the pump's vibration is being transmitted down the pipe, so if you cut an inch or so out of the plastic & insert a rubber "joiner" (I'm not sure what they're really called) the vibration problem will go away.

Reply to
Bob M.

Is it actual vibration, or does it sound like thunk, thunk, thunk sounds as the pipe expands?

We had expansion noises where our plumbing passed under our master bedroom. Everytime the dishwasher drained hot water, the pipes would "thunk, thunk, thunk" as the pipe expanded from the hot water and jerked through the J- hooks.

I eliminated the noise by replacing the "J-hooks" with "Zipsticks"

I wrapped a few turns of fiberglass insulation around the pipe, then attached the Zipstick hangers.

We haven't had any noise problems since I switched to the Zipsticks.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thanks for the replies and ideas folks.

I appreciate the responses.

Reply to
Mike

I used a few pieces conveyer belt material that a friend had lying around to hang my Garage Door Opener. The boys, who live above it, say it lessened the noise by more than half.

Reply to
DerbyDad03