Ventless gas heaters -- my experience

Right, mostly methane. You can google up MSDS's for composition. Here's one:

Sulfur compounds while down in the ppm level are not insignificant as a few ppm of the sulfur dioxide combustion product could be irritating.

Someplace I have an analysis for natural gas in the PA area. Will have to find it.

Reply to
Frank

Not all do, anyway...I think it probably was left from installation or perhaps are using imported units that are shipped via surface container so do need some corrosion protection.

Just put in two new Carrier units within last 5 months--neither had any such symptom.

--

Reply to
dpb

Man, that's frieky. I can easily imagine you wondering what is wrong. I'd also wonder if the thing was about to catch fire, and burn the house down.

.

Having only installed my own recently, I wish they would tell you that in the manual! I fired up the

120K BTU mother and it filled the house with light smoke. I suspected it was something in there as part of the manufacturing process and that it was normal, but not knowing for sure, you start to wonder if you dropped a tool with a plastic handle or something in there.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you have to redo it now, get one of the vented radiant-pipe heaters. There's a burner box with a small draft blower at one end, a

20' long black pipe and reflector for over the workbench and your favorite machines, and then it turns up and vents through the roof.

And the fumes & water vapor go Up and Out.

That, or a Modine "Hot Dawg" style Vented unit heater.

Electric heat is just plain stupid, between the low efficiency and the high cost of electricity most places - Unless you're plugged straight into Hoover Dam at a deep discount.

The average coal or NG fired power plant burns fuel to make electricity and loses half the energy as waste, then the utilities waste another15% getting it to you, and you lose another 10% converting it back into heat... Burn the gas into heat yourself, and save on all the losses and paying all the middle-men.

And electric lights are a bad way to generate heat too - they do, but you really should have them for the light and a heater for heat...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Those things work amazingly well even in a place with open loading dock doors and 5F wind blowing through. You're still comfortable in a T-shirt.

I use electric heat in my shop, just a recycled air handler with electric heat, only running half of the 20KW bank. I'll eventually reconnect the A/C as well. It may not be the most efficient, but it is the most cost effective since the equipment cost me nothing. Also here in N. TX the heating and A/C seasons are fairly short for shop use, since it doesn't have to match the same temps as the house, just be comfortable. In the winter 60F is fine when I'm working out there and set down to 50F when I'm not. In the summer 90F is fine when it's 106F out.

Reply to
Pete C.

snippage>

Based on the few possums I've had to shoot because they've been in areas where they weren't welcome, they've got heads of solid bone and brains the size of peanuts. Plugged one with a .357 in the head at close range and he was still kicking a half-hour later. Last monster one took 4 .38s to the head and still took a long time to give up. So yep, it fits.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Anytime a flame contacts something, something can happen. The cleanest unit will just have a blue flame not contacting anything. When a flame contacts a heat transferring thing, combustion becomes worse. A yellow flame is that much worse if hits ceramic logs. Room air contaminants can make it much worse.

Couple years ago, ran kerosene for over two days, and we were suffering.

Was that chinese ceramic?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The last 10% is incorrect. Electrical heating has definitely 100% efficiency in a closed room. All wiring loss, all radiant loss, everything turns into heat eventually inside the room.

Depends on the cost of gas if it makes sense..

At least here in Finland :

- burning gas : 0.22 euro/kWh (about 2.5euro/kg in 10kg tanks, 12.8kWh/kg, 90% efficiency)

- burning light oil : 0.16 euro/kWh (about 1.1 euro/litre, 10kWh/litre, 70% efficiency)

- direct electrical heating : 0.11euro/kWh

So here, it is actually cheapest to heat with electricity.

I have an air-to-air heat pump running with electricity.. Saves about 20% electricity compared to direct heating with resistive heaters. Pays for itself in 5 years. Doesn't save more because there's not so much energy in air to pump when it is less than -10C and it certainly is a few months a year..

Kristian Ukkonen.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen