Venting gas logs? ? ?

Recently we got some (natural) gas logs which work very well, but I can tell that probably more than half the heat goes up the chimney.
I remember years ago when we had unvented gas heaters in every room. There seemed to be no danger then.
My question is, is there any danger to plugging up the chimney, at least partially, so that we get some of that lost heat in the room?
I believe the danger is not carbon monoxide, but oxygen depletion. This is a very old house and drafts alone should be enough to prevent serious depletion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:23:13 GMT, "Ray"

You FUCKIN stupid idiot. Hopefully, we will read about you in the papers, dying from inhaling noxious fumes or carbon monoxide and NOT have to hear about your family dying with you. Get a gun and shoot yourself now. You are wasting valuable space on this earth. Bubba
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You're good at intemperate language, but you don't answer the question: How do modern gas logs differ from the old fashioned unvented gas space heaters that were found in millions of homes? I don't recall ever hearing of anyone dying from inhaling noxious fumes or carbon monoxide.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Intemperate or not, its still stupid. They arent different. They still burn gas. Yes, they have added crap to them like oxygen depletion sensors but they still have fumes that I wouldnt prefer not to breathe. Also, when speaking of "old fashioned ones", we also didnt worry about fuel bills like we do now. Most people didnt have a "tight" or insulated home. When you got cold, you turned up the stat. We also didnt have the internet and text messaging and cell phones and PDA's and new satellites and all those other wonderful technology items we have now that allow instant reporting from around the world. Medical technology wasnt as advanced either so more than likely, some people died or were harmed by carbon monoxide poisoining and people just thought it was a virus, flu or pneumonia. That answer your question enough or would you too, like fries with that? Bubba
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:48:55 GMT, "Bettina"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ray wrote:

Please don't do that. Modern ventless heating devices are safe, but they are especially made for that use and they have monitors to turn them off is the O goes too low. You will not have that.
You are right about the gas logs not being efficient heating devices. Such is life. The best you can do is to get some good glass doors for it and avoid much of the lost heat. Most of the lost heat is not what the logs make, but the warm air from the room that is being pulled out.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Regarding the glass doors, if they are tempered they must be left open while fire is on. Ceramic glass doors can be closed with fire on.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You should have bought an insert with ceramic glass. Some are 85 percent efficient and send the hot air into the room and the bad exhaust outside. But considering what you bought the short answer is that you cannot use logs intended for venting in an unvented fireplace unless you want to die. And even though they sell vent free gas log units I would neve buy one. Code does not allow them to be used in a bedroom. If it is not safe enuf to be used in a bedroom I would not use it in my house.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

At risk of bringing down verbal lighting I also have (semi ventless) gas logs in my old wood burner. What I did was to close the new adjustable damper (about 8x2 " when fully open) to maintain a minimal draft but keep as much heat in as possible.(Probably about 30% open) We used a U tube water air flow gage , but comparing it to just a piece of tissue in the air flow into the fireplace the tissue as a air flow indicator was almost as effective. Setting damper in chimney and using instrument was a tough job.We did this 4 years ago and re set the damper every fall. Worst problem is with family of wasps that live in the brick chimney can't drive them out with the heat the gas logs deliver. Any help available? Frank
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:23:13 GMT, "Ray"

There are three types: vented, unvented, or direct vent
You have vented and no you cannot plug your vent source (chimney). They are very inefficient and do not create much room heat for the BTUs of energy they burn.
You can get unvented which will give you much more heat, but they are bad about creating moisture making the windows and often other surfaces sweat. And I don't believe any are rated for sleeping areas, which should give you an indication of their relative safety.
Direct vent (have both external combustion air and a vent stack that is internal to the combustion air pipe require a small stack that can go straight out the wall without requiring a drafting chimney. They put out a lot of heat but they are glassed in rather than having an exposed open flame. You can still see the flame behind the permanent glass door. It is the most efficient and also most expensive.
Frank
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Why, on earth, do you want a fire in the middle of your living room? This is an anachronistic vestige of man's days in a cave. You are nurturing your atavistic genes :-)
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, that is where mine is: In the middle of the living room....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.