Venting gas dryer?

In our new house, they put a dryer vent in the floor but it goes down into the crawl space, which we're told is not a good thing.
We're also told that we have to get someone (who?) to cut a hole in the wall (it's an outside wall) to vent the dryer outside. Geez.
We still have a ton of things to unpack and take care of. Since there's an outside door right next to the dryer, can we, temporarily, put the end of the vent thing out the door so we can do some laundry? Do we really need to cut a hole in our house? Who would we call to have that done and what might it cost?
It's always something, right?
Thanks.
Maxi
maximovies wrote:

of course you can vent it out the front door. Just hope the warm air does not attract any animals. cutting hole in the side of house is not a big deal, its just siding or something so long as its not brick...
venting under house is not good no. dont want to dump moisture down there and warmth. but also fire hazard with the dust. i guess a handyman can run the vent. it should be under $100. Im sure sears and others that sell dryers have contacts.
--
Thank you,

maximovies wrote:

I would vent it where it is this week, but by next week you will want to get it right. Continued venting down there can and will cause mold and damage to your new home.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

In addition to that, add the danger of it being a gas dryer. If it is working properly, it shouldn't exhaust much carbon monoxide (if any). It would be a long-shot for the dryer to be operating badly enough to put enough CO into the crawlspace that it builds up inside the house... BUT it's not something to take chances with. I agree with the others that you can use it temporarily for now (If you have a window nearby, it might be better to vent out the window than a doorway (to keep out the animals and the window opening can be smaller and possibly taped off with a plastic sheet).
is it a brand new home? if so the builder should fix it
if its a preowned home did you get a home inspection? it should of turned up on a inspection/.
I wonder what other troubles your home may have:(
Cutting a hole in the wall and venting the dryer outside is completely common and normal. Usually you put a little fixture on the outside that has a flap that stays closed except when the dryer is running. It's pretty much the only the way to vent a dryer, especially if its a gas dryer. The safe, quality way to do it is to have smooth metal ducting from the dryer all the way to the vent. (Not the cheapo plastic or metal flexible stuff.)
Thanks, everyone. AHR to the rescue again.
Maxi