venting a bathroom fan

Page 2 of 2
Speedy Jim wrote:

Not really, but it will dip below freezing in winter. If I do this would it be a good idea to then come straight up from the fan, 90 over, and tweak the horizontal run a little to get it to slope down toward the vent?
nate
(THIS is why you post, so you get ideas like this?)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I wrapped my duct with insulation.
Pat wrote:

Insulation can help; a lot depends on how cold it gets.
Sloping toward the vent exit is good too.
Jim
Nate Nagel wrote:

You run a "loop" or "s" type trap out of the duct. The flex is great for this, and you can continue with either flex or rigid.
You don't want a slope running down towards the vent, it's a sure way to dump the moisture into the fan.
Novice here... Can you vent it directly outside through the wall and siding instead of through to the roof?
bonnie
Bonnie Jean wrote:

Bonnie,
Sure you can, if your code permits it, that's part of what this thread is about.
Personally, I hate those louvered vents for the same reason birds love them. It does bring a big grin to my face, when I see birds fly out of them.

The vent supplied with the Panasonic Whisperwall (the through-wall version) is actually very nice and quite robust steel. Installed through the wall, the fan uses an 8" duct and the outdoor vent is about 10" square, with an integral damper and a very heavy screen over the opening. No way any bird will get in there, and the damper seals tightly whenever the fan is not running. It's much easier to install than any ceiling solution, and since the total run is just the thickness of the wall you won't have any problems with dropoff or condensation that you'd have with a long attic run.
-kiwanda
Kiwanda wrote:

Certainly would be an option, _if_ the bathroom is located on an exterior wall.
Rather pointless, _if_ the bathroom is surrounded by interior walls. You would not be able to use this fan.

Sure can. You just use the same wall vent used for dryer vents. It has louvers or a flap in it to keep the critters out an prevent the wind from blowing in.
Paul F.
Bonnie Jean wrote:

that was actually my original question, consensus seems to be "yes."
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Another option: Vent them out through the soffits. The bathroom fans on my house are done this way, and it's a nice, clean look.
J.A. Michel wrote:

Believe it or not, I don't have any soffits. Roof ends just at the wall of the house.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yes but make sure there aren't any "droops" in the exhaust flex line if you re using that to get from the fan to outside. If there are any sagging areas, especially in cooler wall/attic/ceiling spaces you run the risk of condensation forming within the pipe and running down into the sagging area creating quite a heavy weight of water in the pipe over time
The problem is the size of the duct work. Keep it as wide as possible. I had to shrink one of mine and it increases noise dramatically and obviously reduces flow. However a high quality fan going thru 3" duct work instead of 4 inch duct work is still tons better than a builder's special fan which is what I thru out.