Using Extension Cord with Freezer

Page 2 of 3

Of course the analogy holds. A 1 foot chunk of 1 inch pipe could actually provide LESS pressure drop than 100 feet of larger pipe.
Dennis Osgood wrote:

proper size(capacity to carry the current without too much voltage drop) There shouldn't be a problem. a/c or freezer has motor which draws peak current when it starts due to it's characteristics of inductive load) Undersized cord is even fire hazard.
On 6/23/2015 1:55 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Wonderful! I've got a compressor that dosn't run on the extension cord. I've been waiting for someone to use ohms law and help me understand.
You da man!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

resistance. With AC circuit it has to deal with resistance and reactance by inductor and/or capacitor. Unit of conductaance(vs. R) is Mho, Admittance is Y(vs. Z)
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:15:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon

started it plugged directly into the wall, but would start and run with no problem on a 25 foot #14 extension cord. It was an induction/repulsion motor. The cord resistance dropped the starting current just enough to save the fuse.
On 6/23/2015 1:55 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two points. Introducing the constant of proportionality, the resistance, one arrives at the usual mathematical equation that describes this relationship

Why would you have to "introduce" resistance to Ohm's law to arrive at Ohm's law?
taxed and spent wrote:

You miss my point. Ohm's law relates voltage, current, and resistance. You don't need to "introduce" resistance to a law that already includes resistance.
On Sep 20, 10:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

7 cu ft, what does it pull 100 watts? Likely only 100- 150, Gee maybe 20 ga would work.

7 cu ft, what does it pull 100 watts? Likely only 100- 150, Gee maybe 20 ga would work.
Right on. My top freezer, frost free frig draws only 75 watts during normal operation. Starting the compressor motor is another issue. I'm sure the manufacturer is concend that a low line voltage condition plus a long extension cord could eventually burn the motor.
Even though my fridge uses 75 watts, the starting current is 7.5 amps.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

Just get an AC extension cord. Not sure if this is in a garage or basement but they come in short lengths and have flat wire and 90 degree male ends which would help neaten things up if that's desired.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0084483
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Long and/or small gauge extension cords will have more resistance which will lower the voltage. Lower voltage will increase the current and overheat the compressor motor and over time cause a premature failure. Fire is a possibility but MC is probably more worried about a warranty return. Kevin

Keep the cord as short as possible, with conductors equal to or larger than the circuit conductors. Appliance extension cords are made in lengths up to 9'

Install another outlet. Extension cords are intended for temporary use only.

My freezer has been on an extension cord for 27 years now. It is, though, a heavy duty one that can handle the load. Use a short cord designed for air condition use and you are OK. They want to avoid people using the wimpy lamp cord.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:55:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll check what they have at the Home Depot today.
Nick
On Sep 20, 10:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

If this is a permanent location, consider adding a new outlet via surface mounted Wiremold from the old outlet. It will be tidy, neat and safe and meet whatever code requirements exist in your area. Wiremold is quite easy to work with, and total cost will be in the ballpark with a decent extension cord. HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

heating. The bigger worry is accidental disconnection. Use a new extension cord of the needed length and put a bit of duct tape around the connection between the refrigerator plug and the extension cord receptacle.
They make a regular 'appliance' extension cord. They are 12ga.