upstairs too warm because of hydronic heat?

Our previous house (forced air) didn't have this problem, but now (in hot water heated house) the bedrooms (2nd floor) are always too hot even with the radiators completely off. After a whole night of setback in this cold weather, downstairs is 63 (the thermostat setting) while the bedrooms have barely dropped to 70.

The radiator valves don't leak. The thermostat is on the first floor and is controlling the temperature there quite well.

My theory is that with forced air, the air is pulled down through returns and recirculated, while with radiators, the warm air has nowhere to go but up. We do have a largish, open (door-less) stairway.

Is there some other possible reason? Is there anything to be done except sell and move?

Reply to
R. Kalia

I have hot water baseboard heat but I have four zones. Two downstairs and two upstairs. And each zone has its own thermostat. We keep the heat downstairs at around 70 and the upstairs zones are set at 65. We've never had a problem with too much heat upstairs even though we also have a large stairwell in the middle of the house that could act as a chimney for the heat. I think you need to look into having a professional check out your system. Maybe the thermostat can be moved. In the meantime, why not crack the windows in each bedroom just a bit.

Reply to
CAStinneford

Are you saying the radiators on the second floor are always completely off? In other words they never give off any heat? They're always stone cold?

Reply to
Steve Scott

put a thermostatic valve on each radiator. problem over.

jb books books mechanical houston texas

Reply to
JB Books

You are such a clueless twit.

Kinda like your "bypass the roll out" comment. You are pure clueless.

Everybody, JB "the clueless twit" just opened mouth and inserted foot. He's our resident Hack....I mean troll.....and...well...yes...a hack too.

Don't take this guys advice for anymore than asking someone's two year old "how do I fix my furnace?" (for the two year old will probably make more sense)

Reply to
kjpro

I'm thinking the bedrooms are better insulated than the downstairs; maybe they've been reno'd recently.

And when you say "the rad valves don't leak", I take this to mean that the rads are at room temperature. If they're warm at all then the valves are passing water through them, and that's part of your problem. Have a pro look at that.

Anyhow, the first thing I'd do, if you aren't doing it now, is keep all the bedrooms doors closed. Last time I checked, you don't need a pro for this, but some on alt.hvac may differ.

Next I'd consider a big ceiling fan above that largish open stairway, directing air downwards.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

you dont have any answers so critize those who know how to remedy the problems is your answer. pityfull.

jb books books mechanical houston texas

Reply to
JB Books

You'd be better off to cover part of the radiators, to keep the heat into the radiator. Cracking the window heats the outdoors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Steve Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes.

Reply to
R. Kalia

chipc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chip C) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yes, this is true, good catch. Sides of 2nd floor are vinyl with insulation, rest of house is brick w/o insulation.

Yes.

That's an idea. Thanks!

Reply to
R. Kalia