I just moved to southern Florida, where mold can be a problem. I have
asthma and am very allergic to mold. Is adding a u/v light air sanitizer to
the central air conditioner system something that would be a good idea to
do? (I have been given a quote of about $900 for a unit to go on my 3 ton
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious
As i understand it,
Yes and no. Ducts no but coil and drain pan yes. Food for the duct mold is
Airflow only about 2" from light since the air is passing by so quickly.
The many air changes daily help this as well as proper bulb placement.
The coil and drain pan get light all the time so thats where it works best.
Which is good because it kills the mold as well
as well as the bacteria the mold eats.
I use the word kill but what it does is change the bacterias DNA so they can
not reproduce. They have a short life span
so this works out same as killing them.
The contractor grade units bulbs last much much longer. As well they put
out more light, are better sealed against moisture and the clear cover over
the bulbs seems to be better at not getting that hazy, light blocking
problem. No surprise the long lasted higher output bulbs cost more. I
think???? HD bulbs go 9 months before dropping effectiveness and the best
bulbs go three years.
I am also an asthmatic. I live in Arizona, and some time ago I bought 2
Sharper Image Ionic breeses. I have one in the bedroom and one in the
dinning room. My home is all tile and no evap cooling. I monitor the
humidity what I am allergic to starts growing about 43% rh. I have been
happy with the units. They offer them with UV now.
Cleaning out the duct work might be a better practice for you. I can not see
in my mind's eye how one lamp is going to keep the duct work and the home
clean. Might help some as long as the fan is in the ON position.
Yes that's right.
The UV-C lights help remove molds food source and helps keep the coil and
drain pan clean. Its not a duct cleaning solution. Its one part in trying
to control mold.
A preferred set up is multiple lights or at least one in the return and one
at the coil.
In my opinion other than a few with medical needs mold is overblown. Its a
part of nature we have always lived with
But who am I to complain. All the hype is good for business.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.