Ultra violet light air sanitizers for Air Conditioners - Worth Getting?

I just moved to southern Florida, where mold can be a problem. I have asthma and am very allergic to mold. Is adding a u/v light air sanitizer to the central air conditioner system something that would be a good idea to do? (I have been given a quote of about $900 for a unit to go on my 3 ton air conditioner.)
--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious
Les wrote:

It might kill something in the air going past it, but it is not going to take care of stuff in the ducts or elsewhere. I have also heard that they tend to loose efficiency rather quickly.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

As i understand it,
Yes and no. Ducts no but coil and drain pan yes. Food for the duct mold is killed though.
Airflow only about 2" from light since the air is passing by so quickly. The many air changes daily help this as well as proper bulb placement.
The coil and drain pan get light all the time so thats where it works best. Which is good because it kills the mold as well as well as the bacteria the mold eats.
I use the word kill but what it does is change the bacterias DNA so they can not reproduce. They have a short life span so this works out same as killing them.
The contractor grade units bulbs last much much longer. As well they put out more light, are better sealed against moisture and the clear cover over the bulbs seems to be better at not getting that hazy, light blocking problem. No surprise the long lasted higher output bulbs cost more. I think???? HD bulbs go 9 months before dropping effectiveness and the best bulbs go three years.
HOnneywell makes a 36 watt unit and claims it will destroy 99% of airborne mold. Goes downstream of the Cooling Coil in the duct. It will be alot less than $900 installed.

I am also an asthmatic. I live in Arizona, and some time ago I bought 2 Sharper Image Ionic breeses. I have one in the bedroom and one in the dinning room. My home is all tile and no evap cooling. I monitor the humidity what I am allergic to starts growing about 43% rh. I have been happy with the units. They offer them with UV now.
Cleaning out the duct work might be a better practice for you. I can not see in my mind's eye how one lamp is going to keep the duct work and the home clean. Might help some as long as the fan is in the ON position.
Yes that's right. The UV-C lights help remove molds food source and helps keep the coil and drain pan clean. Its not a duct cleaning solution. Its one part in trying to control mold.
A preferred set up is multiple lights or at least one in the return and one at the coil.
In my opinion other than a few with medical needs mold is overblown. Its a part of nature we have always lived with down here. But who am I to complain. All the hype is good for business.

sanitizer
ton
see