TV turns itself off & on ..

Page 1 of 5
Hi all ; My old fat-screen <CRT> 32 inch RCA has taken on a mind of its own - - it has started to turn itself OFF & ON after working for 20 minutes or so. I took the batteries out of the remote to see if it was causing the trouble - it made no difference. Any ideas ? I like to keep stuff from the re-cycle / garbage bin, if I can. John T.
--- ---
On 10/06/2015 04:10 PM, hubops wrote:

I also like to keep things out of the landfill if at all possible but I don't think I'd bother repairing an old CRT set.
I tossed mine out 25 years ago and never replaced it.
No TV at all and I don't miss it.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:19:27 -0500, philo

I found no TV on the grass next to the curb yesterday. I took home no TV and now I have no TV more today than yesterday.
On 10/7/2015 2:47 AM, micky wrote:

This is a riddle, correct? Try and explain it?
"and on some days, he went all the way up to the 13th floor" kind of thing?
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 2:47:55 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

http://nmi.craigslist.org/zip/5193511372.html http://cosprings.craigslist.org/zip/5191922964.html http://www.classifiedads.com/free_stuff-ad182549576.htm
Better hurry, trashman coming soon.
On 10/06/2015 04:19 PM, philo wrote:

I have a Sanyo CRT TV that I got just before LCDs became available at reasonable prices. It won't tune digital, but has worked so well on cable I don't want to get rid of it. Possibly when cable drops too many analog channels...
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Our cable TV is going to drop the analog channels this month. They will supply a box that will work with the sets that have the audio/video inputs. I have an old CRT set that is in the basement area I watch, and a cable ready set in the kitchen When cable announced that extra box would be needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then charge for them, I switched to Direct TV.
On 10/07/2015 11:53 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[snip]

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same language ("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It would be wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they gave you. Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to pay to get it later.
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on cable. Below is from their web page. Talking with some that have gone to this converter box (the converter box for off the air TV will not work either) say it is free for now to watch.
Digital Adapters are free for a limited time in some areas. Please refer to our Digital Adapter support page for details
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:17:19 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

You can get an A-B switch to switch from the cable input to a standard antenna. You can get one with remote control so you don't have to get up (I have that.), and maybe you can just connect both the cable and the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere with each other.

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:37:07 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

We went through that in another recent thread. If you combine the cable together with an antenna using the typical splitter, you will be driving the antenna with the cable company's signals and radiating them to the neighborhood. Cable companies and the FCC don't like that. IDK what exactly an antenna has to do with his issues anyway.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:43:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I don't think I read that one. In another group, maybe cross-posted here, we recently talked about joining two antennas, but I don't the other topic came up.

Did anyone mention that by using an antenna amp, that is almost certainly uni-directional, that won't happen?
Even without that, I find it hard to believe the puny signal that comes out of a cable box will radiate even to next door from an antenna. Do you remember the Subject of that thread?

Read his post again. "Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on cable."
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 1:28:53 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

The FCC says otherwise:
https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage

He also said:
"When cable announced that extra box would be needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then charge for them, I switched to Direct TV. "
So he doesn't have cable anymore and presumably he doesn't have a problem to solve.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 04:56:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

This is a general warning and says NOTHING about antennas as a source of leakage, and thus it says nothing about using an antenna amp to block the cable signal from going up to the antenna.
As I asked before, in that prior thread, did anyone think to suggest an antenna amp? Did you?
The only examples the FCC url gives are here "Cable signal leaks can be caused by loose connectors, damaged plant and cracked or unterminated cables." Backfeeding into antennas doesn't even make the list.

I saw that. I don't think that was any reason not to reply as I did, and I don't think you or most people here would have let that stop you from replying either.

Like the OP in a thread is the only one posters write for. Like this OP can't have a problem with Direct and want to go back. Like this OP can't have family who might still be in the same situation he was in.
My gosh, you love to bicker.
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 12:05:03 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

"Cable signal leaks occur when the RF signals transmitted within a cable system are not properly contained within the cable plant. Cable signal leaks can be caused by loose connectors, damaged plant and cracked or unterminated cables."
And I cited the FCC based on your recommendation to just use a splitter to combine the antenna and cable:
"maybe you can just connect both the cable and the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere with each other. "
After listing loose connectors, cracked, un-terminated cables, you think the FCC has to specifically say "don't connect an antenna to the cable"?
Just how stupid are you?
I didn't comment on your suggestion to use an antenna amplifier for isolation. I didn't see the need to, because as I pointed out, you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. The poster doesn't have a problem. He reported that he no longer even has cable, he's switched to DirectTV.

As I recall, yes it was discussed at length. But then we also had someone that had an actual problem then too.

Well, obviously you are that stupid.

You didn't see me replying though, did you? I didn't see anyone else replying to solve his non-existent problem either.

And you're still the village idiot. Maybe you could learn to trim posts?
Bearing in mind what Mark said, it might be better to use a multiplexer than a splitter. Despite the fancy 4-syllable name, they're very cheap too. As well as the antenna amp, of course.
Continued below.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:50:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Yeah, that was there, for sure. By golly, I remember reading it! I even remember quoting it!!!

Absolutely. That's an entirely different beast from loose or cracked, which are physical defects. Unteminated is a third kind of beast.

Smarter than you, it seems.

Baloney. Then why did you comment on the rest of it?
Why did you write "The FCC says otherwise: https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage " If the antenna amp is moot now, what the FCC is just as moot.

By golly, he did.

Do you remember what the problem was?

You're not only stupid, you love to bicker. What a combination.

You had nothing worth saying. You still don't.

Do you pay by the byte?
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 7:59:05 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Obviously not if you can't fathom that if a loose connector or cracked cable can radiate the cable signal to the neighborhood, then connecting an antenna would be even worse. I guess it's for guys like you that they have to put the 6 pages of warnings on power tools and appliances. They could say, "Warning, this tool has sharp pointed edges", but if they didn't tell you to not put it in your eye, you couldn't figure that out. And then after you put your eye out, you'd sue them, saying it's all their fault, they should have.

Because you recommended combining the cable system with an antenna using a $2 splitter. I commented on why that's a bad idea.

No it's not, it still applies to your first recommendation, which was to use a $2 splitter. And while adding an antenna amp will prevent the antenna from radiating the cable signals, it too is a bad idea because there typically are shared frequencies between cable and OTA. So, while it won't spew signals, it probably won't work either. But you're right that's a moot point, because the poster clearly stated his issue was in the past and he had REPLACED CABLE WITH DIRECT TV.

There you go.
On 10/08/2015 01:36 PM, micky wrote:
[snip]

Channels 2-13 are the same for air and cable. Cable channels 14-64 and 95-99 (IIRC) are different. Cable channels 65+ overlap UHF broadcast channels 14+.

--
78 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/7/2015 12:38 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I was in the same situation. I got lucky though, a nearby lightning strike took out the TV so I had to get a 47" flat screen. Of course, two weeks after I bought it the price dropped $50.
Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!