Turnbuckle

How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Reply to
gary

ends of a wire rope taut?  (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-ro pe clamps).

That would seem to depend on the size of the turnbuckle. They come in sizes from teensie weensie to huge.

Reply to
trader4

of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Usually you get the cable as tight as you can assembling it with the turnbuckle expanded. Then tighten the turnbuckle until you have the tautness you desire.

Reply to
jamesgang

On Thu, 2 May 2013 13:14:34 -0700 (PDT), gary wrote in Re Turnbuckle:

of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Extend the turnbuckle to about 90% if it's length. Then pull the wire rope as taught as you can by hand and clamp.

Reply to
CRNG

About as long as a piece of string.

Reply to
Larry W

How long is a piece of string?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Twice as long as half of it, of course. A rhetorical question, wasn't it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Just barely long enough to reach from one end to the other.

Reply to
pilgrim