trash compactor

Page 1 of 2
our digs are overturning getting into and generally attacking our garbage can daily when were not home. heck they will turn it over even empty and clean. must be their latest hobby.:( plus our community is reportedly going to a single 96 gallon container picked up by machine. i run a small business here and occasionally generate extra trash.
anyone have a compactor? are you happy? i never had one of these, but oddly enough have room for it in the kitchen
Add pictures here
βœ–
alt.home.repair:

I had a small cottage industry going for awhile replacing trash compactors with pull-out recycle bin drawers.
Trash compactors were a solution in search of a problem because: * They require special bags that cost a dollar or more each. * The bags, when full, are too heavy for many people to lift. * The stuff at the bottom rots and starts stinking before the bag gets full. If you have a small family, it might take several weeks to fill it up. * They squeeze paper pretty well, but don't really compact that much. They won't crush bottles or heavy cans. They just squish normal cans a little. * Modern recycling programs have removed all the really compactable stuff from the trash stream.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Ours doesn't. We use ordinary kitchen size plastic garbage bags and they work fine. Of course we did buy the expensive ones for awhile until I figured out they were the same size as the plastic kitchen bags.

What the heck we they putting in them that made them so heavy?

Meat and kitchen food scraps go outside in our garbage can which has a latch on the lid.

We automatically empty ours every week the night before garbage pickup.

All of those things belong in the recycling bin.

Really? We are not allowed to put Styrofoam such as eggs cartons in to the recycling bin. We do manage to fill ours at least half full every week. Things such as prescription bottles go into it because of privacy concerns.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

One of the condo developments that I do work in each had one installed by the builder 20 something years ago. I am surprised to find that there are a few still around. Just another appliance to break down and they are a PIA to clean out thoroughly to get rid of the smell. I have pulled a few out for customers and they can be quite nasty if not cleaned regularly.
Personally I wouldn't want a week's worth of garbage collecting in the house. Here in NJ we must recycle paper, boxes, cans, and bottles so a separate container must be used for that stuff.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:16:32 -0400, "John Grabowski"

We have a hard plastic bin that we put the garbage bag in and then it slides right down into the compactor. It was manufactured especially for our trash compacter, a Kenmore.

So where is the problem if you have a separate container for recycling?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

It was one of those bad ideas of the 70's. Few people really want an immovable object that smells like a landfill.
If you want something cool, get an automatic compost maker. :-) http://www.cleanairgardening.com/autocomposter.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 02:57:56 -0000, AZ Nomad

If it smells you aren't putting the right things in it. Meat, vegetable and fruit trash needs to be put in a garbage can outside the house.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

That would be totally defeating the purpose of it. Why not carry the remaining 10% to the trash and forego the joy of producing a slightly less smelly 250lb block?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:47:12 -0000, AZ Nomad

So all of your trash that is not meat, vegetables or fruit and does not belong in the recycling container is not worth putting in the compacter?
What the heck are you putting in the compacter that adds up to 250 pounds? When ours is full it seldom weighs more than 15 pounds.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
on 3/23/2008 6:58 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

I have had the same Kenmore compactor in my kitchen for 20+ years. It has never required repair. I have used a trash compactor for over 40 years, starting with a Kenmore portable unit when I lived in an apartment. In answer to some other comments. We used to use the $.50 compactor bags sold by Sears for years. A year or so ago when we ran out of the special bags, we used a Glad ForceFlex kitchen bag as a temporary solution. It worked so well that we continued to use them, and still use them today. They very rarely tear, and if they do, it is near the top where the bag stretches over the container sides. We recycle glass and plastic, so they don't go into the compactor, thereby reducing the risk of bag tearing (glass used to tear the special bags too). When we dump messy food remains into the compactor, we place newspaper over the mess, to keep the ram clean. The trash in our compactor lasts about a week. There is no noticeable smell, probably due to the newspaper covering the messy stuff . The compactors come with a special spray can attachment that automatically sprays a dose into the container when the door is closed, but we haven't used them for years and a spray of Odo-Ban or Febreze once in a while will do the same. The bag does get heavy, but I have no problem getting the bag out, and I am 70. When you get that 96 gallon trash can for the auto-load garbage trucks, your dogs will have a hard time getting into it as the lid itself is very heavy and about 42" off the ground..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The good news is- those big containers are pretty good at keeping critters out.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They are amazing devices!
They can magically turn twenty pounds of garbage into twenty pounds of garbage.
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 3/24/2008 9:47 AM HeyBub said the following:

...in a smaller amount of volume, and using fewer garbage bags. Didn't like the one you had?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Which is why we bought a garbage can for outside that has a latch on it. So far the raccoons and possums haven't figure out how to open it, but they sure love our bird feeders even though they are "squirrel proof."
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
willshak wrote:

Trash bags are a renewable resource; just go to the store and get more. They appear on the shelves by magic.
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 3/24/2008 4:55 PM HeyBub said the following:

Plastic garbage bags are a renewable resource? Where do they grow?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There are some in the stores that are biodegradable.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
willshak wrote:

On grocery shelves. You walk down the row, pick one, put it in your basket.
Same as if you were plucking an ear of corn.
Harvesting whale oil - another renewable resource - is a bit trickier.
Add pictures here
βœ–