Transformer on ceiling fan broke

I have a transformer on my ceiling fan that broke. The lights work but the fan doesn't. The transformer has two wires. One is red that has a clamp on it to plug in for power, and the other is white. It says on it 4.0 250v AC

The only one I can find in a store has 3 wires and is different voltage. I've checked Lowes, OSH, Home Depot, and local shops.

The fan was part of the house when purchased and I can't find a brand name on the fan.

Any suggestions besides "buy a new fan" ?

Thanks

Reply to
Me

if it has just two wires on it i doubt that it is a transformer, sounds more like a capacitor, a transformer needs four wires on it.. two to feed a certain voltage in and two to take another voltage out.......

Reply to
jim

I dought it is a transformer , are you sure it isnt a bad switch or loose conection

Reply to
mark Ransley

It's a capacitor. 4.0 microfarads (abbreviated - mfd.). Maximum working voltage is 250 volts, alternating current (abbreviated 250v AC). Capacitors are used in ceiling fans to reduce speed. Usually there are two with different values. The fan motor is connected directly to the line voltage for the "high speed", thru the medium value capacitors for "medium speed" and through the low value capacitor for "low speed". Replacement capacitors are available at some Lowes, H-D and Radio Shock. You may want to forgo trying to change out this little devil while balancing on a ladder and instead, buy a replacement wall switch with the capacitors built in (about $15.00 U.S.) That way, you can control the speed without using the pull string.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

why not click on my post and tnen go to refernces and click on NO. 1 and then the original poster will get your message..... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't tried Radio Shack, but Lowes, Home Depot, and OSH have not had the part. They've only had the one with 3 wires. Does anyone know of an online store that might carry it?

Reply to
Me

Not exactly, they are to provide a phase delay that the sort of motor a CF uses. The ones that have multiple capacitors (or two capacitors in one container), use combinations of capactor values (such s 1.5 and

3mfd), to provide different phase delays. Others select taps on one of the windings, using a single capacitor.
Reply to
Gary Tait

RS won't.

Reply to
Gary Tait

i had this happen to me - i removed the fan, found a serial number on it. Then called hampton. They said it was one of theirs and they replaced it for free

Reply to
JAMEZY NJ