Transformer on ceiling fan broke

I have a transformer on my ceiling fan that broke. The lights work but the fan doesn't. The transformer has two wires. One is red that has a clamp on it to plug in for power, and the other is white. It says on it 4.0 250v AC
The only one I can find in a store has 3 wires and is different voltage. I've checked Lowes, OSH, Home Depot, and local shops.
The fan was part of the house when purchased and I can't find a brand name on the fan.
Any suggestions besides "buy a new fan" ?
Thanks
Me wrote:

more like a capacitor, a transformer needs four wires on it.. two to feed a certain voltage in and two to take another voltage out.......
I dought it is a transformer , are you sure it isnt a bad switch or loose conection
mark Ransley wrote:

then the original poster will get your message..... hope this helps.
i had this happen to me - i removed the fan, found a serial number on it. Then called hampton. They said it was one of theirs and they replaced it for free
It's a capacitor. 4.0 microfarads (abbreviated - mfd.). Maximum working voltage is 250 volts, alternating current (abbreviated 250v AC). Capacitors are used in ceiling fans to reduce speed. Usually there are two with different values. The fan motor is connected directly to the line voltage for the "high speed", thru the medium value capacitors for "medium speed" and through the low value capacitor for "low speed". Replacement capacitors are available at some Lowes, H-D and Radio Shock. You may want to forgo trying to change out this little devil while balancing on a ladder and instead, buy a replacement wall switch with the capacitors built in (about $15.00 U.S.) That way, you can control the speed without using the pull string.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't tried Radio Shack, but Lowes, Home Depot, and OSH have not had the part. They've only had the one with 3 wires. Does anyone know of an online store that might carry it?

RS won't.

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:03:16 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

Not exactly, they are to provide a phase delay that the sort of motor a CF uses. The ones that have multiple capacitors (or two capacitors in one container), use combinations of capactor values (such s 1.5 and 3mfd), to provide different phase delays. Others select taps on one of the windings, using a single capacitor.