tracing a sewage line

Page 1 of 2
I'd like to root out my waste line running to the sewer. It appears to me that this runs through a neighbors property, a long way to go, before it dumps in the sewer.
I'd like to find exactly where my sewage line is located. Is there a way I can find the path? I have some off the wall ideas, but how is this done commercially?
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote:

A transmitter on the end of a snake fed down the drain line by one person, and a receiver unit operated by another person tracking the location of the transmitter underground and marking the path.
On 2/3/2011 8:52 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Lots of ways. If metal line, a simple metal detector. If terra cotta or orangeburg, some educated guessing and gentle poking with a long rod. Hi-tech way is to shove a transponder on a cable down your cleanout, and track from above with a sensor. Plus, of course, if your local sewer and water kept decent outside plant records (yeah, I know), or if your purchase paperwork included a rough plat, there may even be a record. Unless you are on a flag lot or something, if there is a sewer line down your street, it probably follows the shortest practical path from your basement wall to street. Of course, if there USED to be a big-ass tree in front yard, it may detour around that spot. There are always exceptions, of course, like if the street used to end at your lot, and they didn't run the sewer all the way to the end. And sometimes, in old urban blocks with alleys and rear-entry garages (and before backhoes and cheap pipe), the sewer actually ran down the alley. Usual caveat that the CL of platted streets and alleys is often several feet off the as-built pavement, and platted alley sometimes never get paved, and ends up vacated. And of course, if the sewers are a retrofit, they may not be under the street at all.
But having babbled all that, it'll cost you a hundred or so to have it mapped out, and get a set of those cute little flags. Experience helps a lot, and the local pros will know the local usual and customary practices.
Oh, and one last note- if you have to dig up part of the line, unless it crosses a driveway or expensive patio, dig it all up and replace it, and never have to worry about it again. Life is too short, etc.
--
aem sends...

On 2/3/2011 10:18 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Indeed. What worries me is the 175' that I believe it crosses the neighbors property.
With that said, I think I've found just the Mexicans to do it. One of them came up to me at the Borg looking for work, any work. They claimed to know shingling so I brought them home to work on my dried in roof after putting $5 gas in their truck. They were hungry too.
I was suspicious, but it was immediately obvious they knew what they were doing, and were dead fast, and very good. I feel very lucky, and I think they do too. It's nice when it works out that way. Not what I was expecting.
Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

Keep the contact information for those workers.
My son's next door neighbor is a Guatemalan who does handy-man type jobs.
The guy dug up about 80' of my son's sewer line and replaced the thin, plastic, original sewer pipe with some of that 1/2" thick green stuff, connected both ends, and put the yard all back to the original condition. I can't remember what my son paid, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $300, everything included.
Now the Guatemalan neighbor knows another Hispanic that works for an A/C company and moonlights at night. He replaced my 3-ton compressor unit with a one-year old used one three years ago. My cost was $650. (He started work at 8:00 p.m. and was done at 10:30.)
A reliable, off-books, worker is a big help in these parlous times.

I'm so glad it worked out for you. Too bad I can't say the same for the legal American citizen who is out of work and drawing welfare cuz you wanted save a couple bucks.
nb
notbob wrote:

And why isn't the "legal American citizen" standing around the Home Depot parking lot with a sign around his neck reading "Will work for sex" or similar?
I have never noticed a non-Hispanic hustling for work outside the big-box stores.

Buying commie handguns and standing up for Hispanics? Who the hell ARE you and what did you do with the real HeyBub? (-:
FWIW, when I had a large tree limb fall, it was a crew of three Hispanic men driving by looking for work saw it, knocked on my door, quoted a price, sawed it up, carted it all away and cleaned up with a leaf vacuum for $75. If anything, they're the ones keeping the American spirit of making your own fortune alive.
My "legal" landscaper arrived two days too late. When a similar sized branch fell recently, he was Johnny on the spot, and wanted $300 for virtually the same sized job. Plus, he wanted the balance of $150 before he removed the logs and detritus, knocking on my door every day this week until I finally said "you get paid in full AFTER you finish the job," reminding him of several unfinished tasks which he had been paid for but didn't fully perform. He walked away with a pissed off look like he was getting ripped off. Sadly, he has a gambling/drinking problem and paying him in advance has proven to be the same as setting fire to the money. Too bad. He does great work when he needs the money but I know now not to pay even $20 in advance.
The two Hispanic gents who delivered and installed my new fridge were well-mannered, punctual and really knew what the hell they were doing. As you noted, you don't see "legal American citizens" working that hard. The last time I was approached by a LAC, he was trying to sell me questionable-looking cardboard boxed meat out of the back of a pickup truck.
-- Bobby G.
On 2/4/2011 7:29 PM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem with trying to go about it legally by a citizen is the crap the government puts any citizen through who wants to set up a business. License? We don't need no stinking license. Is what gives a lot of those on the fringes a leg up when it comes to work. There are LAC's who have the motivation and desire to work but they're often hard to find because many don't want to fight city hall for little return. I know a guy who receives VA benefits and will do contracting when he gets bored but he told me he could sit on his butt and survive rather than fight the government in order to work. Besides, it's easier for the government to track down and screw with a citizen because they know where to find us.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I've run a very small business, and it wasn't a big deal paperwork wise. No license required for most stuff, just a sales tax permit and filing the sales tax paperwork regularly which isn't a big deal.
You also don't need to run a business to make some extra money, there are a lot of freelance (1099) opportunities if you look for them. I have a freelance job I do on the side with some regularity that pays $35/hr for what is typically 2-3 long days of work each month or so. It's not a big deal to keep track of for taxes, just adjust withholding on your regular job to account for your anticipated freelance income, or make separate tax payments during the year to cover the freelance work.

How do you take care of the SS?
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

My accountant handles it, but there are regular IRS forms for it.

I have a small business, large companies get GREEDY, my competitor GBC raised its labor rate to 300 bucks for the first hour. I charge 100 bucks a hour.
Of course they used to have 3 service techs for the pittsburgh area, now ONE TECH for the entire state of pennsylvania.. thats a big area.
A new machine sells for 1500 bucks so a 500 buck repair is far too much...
if anyone here wants to get into servicing roll laminators let me know bob
-
i will check with some contacts and see if laminator repair is needed in your area, most likely it is.
the only problem with laminating machines. you get a call and do whatever to get it running. so now it runs but customer wants estimate, so you heat it up.
and give estimate but its around 300 degrees and you cant work on it, too hot.
so extra trip:( plus when schools reopen in fall everyone calls at one time.9 years ago 7 calls in 3 days. impossible.
most of my customers are under maintence because of these issues. they pay 250 bucks to 350 bucks each per year and i fix whatever breaks. plus do a preventive maintence call once a year, clean machines run far better:)
its nice being my own boss. as long as i keep up with calls i can screw off occasionally

When you're your own boss, you often have no backup unless you have good friends you work with who won't stab you in the back. When things go wrong there is only one person to blame but the absolute freedom makes is worth it most of the time. I may actually get some sleep tonight and be able to make some money tomorrow. :-)
TDD

Agreed, and I admire people who can successfully run a back-pocket company. There is one downside, however. Ya gotta deal with the public. I have no problem with clueless people (and everyone is clueless on at least some things), as long as they know they are clueless. But people who THINK they know and don't, and get pissy with you, not so much. That, and I have a genetic predisposition to being a soft touch- it runs in my family. I would have trouble consistently charging prices high enough to meet expenses, much less get ahead.
--
aem sends...

On 2/6/2011 7:26 AM, aemeijers wrote:

I bend over backwards to help people out but when they expect me to place my lips on their hindquarters, create a vacuum and pull away smartly, I suddenly develop a backbone. When my health was better and I could work around the clock, I would fire at least two customers a year. I would demonstrate my skill as a magician, all they had to do was say the magic words "I'm not gonna pay...." and POOF! I would vanish and they would never see me again. I especially get irritated when someone tells me what it takes to do a job and how much they're going to pay me for it. POOF! :-)
TDD
notbob wrote:

So you checked the citizenship status of the person of Mexican ancestry he hired?
On 2/4/2011 12:06 PM, notbob wrote:

I don't mind paying for hard work. I've hired a lot of born in the USA types to help. But I'm not going to spend a huge amount of money so some roofing company owner can drive around in a new truck. I have no objection to you doing that. In fact I encourage you to since you feel so strongly about it. As for myself, I would have done the job myself, but for them. The born in the USA helper I had wore out.
The boys walked in this morning because their truck broke down, but they knew I needed them. It sure isn't an easy life they are leading and I must say I've never been so impressed with a such a ragged looking bunch of characters before. There is a lot of integrity there, and they flat out know their business.
They aren't taking jobs from anybody. In the state I live in, there are a butt load of shit jobs, like poultry processing, that simply wouldn't get done except for them.
I'm not buying your cup of tea.
Jeff

Usually you only need to know up to the city property and then it is their problem. Septic guys push cameras down the pipes.