Toro Walk-Behind Runs Really Sloooooow

Page 1 of 2
I've got a Toro Recycler mower with a B&S engine.
http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20064.html
At the end of last season I ran it dry and stored it for the winter.
Last weekend I changed the oil and filled it with fresh gas. After a few starts and stalls, it eventually stayed running. It ran fine for several minutes and then dropped to about half speed, RPM speaking.
Now it starts on a couple of pulls just like it did all last year, but it runs really, really slow. It doesn't seem like it wants to stall, it's just running at a very slow speed and obviously not cutting as well.
Where should I start looking for problems?
Thanks!
On Thu, 14 May 2009 12:20:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Maybe binding linkage or partially fouled spark plug?
Oren wrote:

With the engine running, I'd try to move the throttle valve on the carburetor to see if the engine is slow because the throttle isn't open. My mower speed is often affected by debris in the governor linkage. A loose screw or disconnected spring can also affect the governor.
-snip-

That's where I go first. Rev it a few times with the governor and see if it clears up.
A little PB blaster and a shot with the compressor sometimes works wonders.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

PB = ???

http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?pP003&pid=4
http://www.pbblaster.com/images/msds/PB-bulk-aug08.pdf
Jim [long time liquid wrench & wd-40 user- switched to PB a few years ago]
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Thanks
Lou
On Fri, 15 May 2009 17:27:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Didn't. It worked better before. Maybe it was reacting with the graphite or it's vehicle? some old lube that was in there? It says it is safe with plastice-- but I might as well have sprayed adhesive in there. It is far worse than it was yesterday.
Let us know how it treats the locks over time.
Jim

time is the real test; if it doesn't gum up after a few months to 6 months,then it's probably OK.
any lube would work for a short time.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

A century ago, mineral oils were favored because they wouldn't gum and wouldn't cause fires by spontaneous combustion. Often, vegetable or animal fats were added to improve lubricating qualities. Then there could be gumming.
Vegetable and animal fats contained fatty acids that could corrode metal. Depending on how it was refined, mineral oil could also contain acid.
I wonder how much has changed.
Now days, we discuss mineral oils on boxes which light up. Then, we burp, fart, and scratch our butts. Not much has changed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In my search for a new mower, I came across another site that may also be useful. The link follows:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lmower /

Start with the easy stuff: Clean out under the mowing deck. Is it caked up with dried-on grass?

No.

I have one of those, got it at HD last year, mine has no throttle. What is slow, the motor or drive speed. They run at 3600 rpm constant. Once I had a mouse nest in my air filter.

The motor.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Have to love the big box totally useless nonsensical power rating:
Power Rating     6.5 Ft. Lbs Gross Torque*

How does that rate to HP, my new Toro 6.75 whatever rating sure isnt 6.75hp.