Too many Wires! Help with new wall outlet

Page 2 of 5

ct.

en

black

ed text -

That happens to be what I have, but not by any great design planning.
When I moved in, there weren't enough receptacles in the kitchen for my setup (coffee maker, toaster oven, unobstructed receptacles for the coffee grinder or blender, etc.)
It just so happened that adding an "every other receptacle" worked out great. I put them on their own circuit because it was easier to just run all new Romex and I had the space in the panel.
No, they are not color coded and yes, each run is protected with a GFCI as the first receptacle in the chain.
On 4/3/2013 4:18 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I think doing it the Canadian way combined with our codes would require expensive double pole GFCI breakers, or messy, crowded boxes using 12-2-2 wiring. I'm not sure what their receptacle spacing is, but in the US. Having a receptacle at every slice of counter 12" and wider, and one every four feet, certainly give you enough locations to plug in. As long as the electrician installs ample circuits for the size of the kitchen, and it's usage, there shouldn't be any problems. I do prefer running at least one 12/3 loop to all counter outlets, so I at least have both circuits at each location, so I can change the outlets depending upon usage.

My father wired our house that way when it was built in '59 (one color, though). I doing the same to my basement so I can plug in a power tool and a shop vac on separate circuits and work anywhere. There was only one outlet in eight rooms (>2000ft^2).
On 4/3/2013 1:53 PM, RBM wrote:

The one I remember was blowing fuses, maybe one of 2 fuses, in a kitchen. There were split wired receptacles and one of the break-off-tabs was not removed (coulda been original or replacement). I think someone noticed a fuse was blown. All the receptacles would work with the blown fuse.
On 4/3/2013 7:21 PM, bud-- wrote:

That's funny, no one would have known what the blown fuse was going to, because everything worked. I typically get the service call where the homeowner changed all the outlets in the bedroom or living room, and now the switch doesn't work anymore.

than one breaker. It's not impossible that the red and black wires are on separate circuits. They shouldn't be, but still could be.

Quite possibly - but code "in Canada" is 20 amp split circuits in the Kitchen Counter area - and therefore #12 copper as well.
You can also use 20 amp cicuits for everthing in a single bathroom, or receptacles only in multiple bathrooms - but bathroom circuits can ONLY supply bathroom loads. If you have bathroom receptacles in multiple bathrooms on a single 20 amp circuit, the lighting needs to be on another separate circuit supplying only bathroom lighting - a 15 amp circuit. Some other situations can also use 20 amp circuits - and long run 15 amp circuits can also use #12 copper.. 15 amp circuits on aluminum also require #12. - but the OP stated he's got #12 copper.
On 4/3/2013 8:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

than one breaker. It's not impossible that the red and black wires are on separate circuits. They shouldn't be, but still could be.

The OP also talked about a " 'rubberized cap' of some sort". Wires may or may not be #12.

than one breaker. It's not impossible that the red and black wires are on separate circuits. They shouldn't be, but still could be.

Then again, they may not be black red and white - or even wires. The whole box may be just a halucination..

one breaker. It's not impossible that the red and black wires are on separate circuits. They shouldn't be, but still could be. Other than a split receptacle or a 220 circuit, the ONLY place you should find a red wire is as a "traveller" in a 3 way or 4 way switch circuit.
On 04/02/2013 05:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd also say a switch leg for a ceiling fan/light combo where the electrician was thoughtful and decided to allow you to have the option of having a wall switch for the fan when he roughed in.
Or, now that we have the new code, could be a switch leg for anything - as you're now required to have a neutral even at those locations. but neither one of those situations are what the OP is seeing.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nonsense. Unless you consider an Edison circuit to be a 220 circuit.
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 00:23:08 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

A split circuit IS an "edison circuit" so no, Doug it is NOT nonsense.
On 04/02/2013 09:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, when someone says "split receptacle" I'm thinking one that has had the little tab broken out of it, usually for a lamp, not an Edison circuit. But that may just be me...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Code in Canada requires "splits" on kitchen countertops One circuit on the top, one on the bottom - so you can plug in the toaster and the tea kettle without blowing a fuse.. Say "split" to any Canadian electrician and they know exactly what you are talking about. By googling "split receptacle" I'm guessing every Yankee electrician would also know what you meant.
On 4/2/2013 8:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have trouble getting a lot of guys to understand 3 and 4 way switch wiring or even isolated ground receptacles for electronic gear power. o_O
TDD

It's been pointed out to you before -- more than once -- that you make the mistake of assuming that what is Code in Canada is Code everywhere. Yet you continue to repeat that same mistake, over and over and over.
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:05:21 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

It's NOT a mistake. I ALWAYS state it is code "in Canada". If code in the USA is inferior it's not my fault. So go suck on another pickle, sourpuss.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote in news:b8kml85uvd9odrjtku42n51mr4kld4itm8@ 4ax.com:

that

No, you don't "ALWAYS state" that -- for instance, in the comment I objected to above.
Fact is, you usually DON'T state that. Which is why it's been pointed out to you -- more than once -- that you make the mistake of assuming that what's Code in Canada is Code everywhere. It's not.
On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:08:37 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

What do you not understand about "Code in Canada " which is the only place I even mentioned "code".
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

What do you not understand about "you usually DON'T state that"?