Toilet won't stop filling

Hi. My toilet water (in the tank at the back of the toilet) is running non-stop. I tried shutting off the valve underneath the toilet, but it wouldn't budge in either direction. I removed the lid off the tank, and rather than the usual ball-type float, there is a device called a "Fluidmaster." Do you have any suggestions just so I can stop the water from running continuously all night? Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Chemqueries

The float on the FluidMaster is a plastic "bucket" that rides up and down on the central post. Try pushing the bucket down and then back up a few times. Sometimes that will stop it.

If you're unfamiliar, I don't recommend tampering with the stuck shutoff under the toilet; if something breaks you will be SOL.

Best thing you can do is shut the main valve off to the house. With pressure relieved, you can take the top cap off the FluidMaster by rotating a qtr turn. Under the cap will be a rubber "seal" which is easily obtained at any hardware/HD.

More info here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Is the valve not working or do you have a leaking flapper

Reply to
m Ransley

Could be there is a small piece of crud in there, which will clean out. I had to replace a defective main this weekend. When I was done, I flushed all the fixtures. A small piece of crud got stuck in the Fluidmaster and the toilet ran on. Shut the valve, undid the cap, cleaned the little pebble out of the valve, good as new!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Assuming you figure out how to stop the innards from running continuously, get that shutoff valve under the tank fixed ASAP. It is not unheard of for the connecting plumbing between that valve and the bottom of the tank to fail. If that were to occur, you would be up that oft referred to creek without a paddle. It would also ease future fixit jobs within the tank. Come to think of it, fix that valve as part of the current problem solving you are engaged in.

Reply to
good ol' Bob

Good advice, and to add to it, use one of the newer quarter turn type valves now on the market. Nothing works better long term in high solids water supplies. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

...and get a 1/4 turn ball valve to replace it, rather than the valve seat type.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks to all of you for your replies. It turned out there was "crud" or sediment in the FluidMaster.

Reply to
Chemqueries

P.S. And thank you, too, for the information about the shut off valve!

Reply to
Chemqueries