Toilet tank refill problem

I have a problem with my traditional toilet in the basement bathroom. Occasionally the tank won't refill with water after the toilet is flushed, however, if I turn on the water in the bathtub beside it the tank will refill after a few seconds. What causes this problem? Thanks.
Al
On Feb 5, 1:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

i would replace the old fill valve. see: www.fluidmaster.com

Agree: Maybe when bathtub water is run the water pressure is reduced and allows some grit in the toilet valve to ease out of the way and the water to fill the cistern. Take out and clean (if accessible) and or replace the toilet fill valve. PS. Also maybe the toilet fill valve is old, worn and jams.
Yes, it sounds like your fill valve is sticking. Opening the tub faucet probably drops the pressure just enough to allow it to open. In addition to replacing the fill valve, you might want to make sure you pressure is below 80 psi.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:12:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Sticking valve?
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:12:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Just a few questions, might figure the fill valve needs replacement.
Have you looked inside the tank, when its not filling, and tank is empty? Is the float still up? Have you tapped on it? Is it old?
tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com
i had a similar problem over the weekend. no water would come into fill valve to fill the tank.
at first i bought a washer for the fill valve (Fluidmaster), but then I decided to just replace the entire valve. it was easier and cost less that $8 at Lowes.
I have a problem with my traditional toilet in the basement bathroom. Occasionally the tank won't refill with water after the toilet is flushed, however, if I turn on the water in the bathtub beside it the tank will refill after a few seconds. What causes this problem? Thanks.
Al
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:12:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Thanks for the ideas. Actually a few years ago I installed a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve but I didn't change the flapper at that time. The new Fluidmaster flapper didn't seem to work very well so I kept the old one because it was working OK
Now after checking it over (which I should have done in the first place), I believe the problem is due to the old flapper setup and the new fill valve occasionally interfering with each other and preventing the flapper from closing and the tank from filling. I'll try installing the new flapper again and see if that fixes the problem.
Al
On Feb 5, 1:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

see also the fluidmaster "flusher fixer" if your flapper is leaky or old.
try this link...
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml