Toilet tank refill problem

I have a problem with my traditional toilet in the basement bathroom. Occasionally the tank won't refill with water after the toilet is flushed, however, if I turn on the water in the bathtub beside it the tank will refill after a few seconds. What causes this problem? Thanks.

Al

Reply to
ajman51

i would replace the old fill valve. see:

buffalobill

Yes, it sounds like your fill valve is sticking. Opening the tub faucet probably drops the pressure just enough to allow it to open. In addition to replacing the fill valve, you might want to make sure you pressure is below

80 psi.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Agree: Maybe when bathtub water is run the water pressure is reduced and allows some grit in the toilet valve to ease out of the way and the water to fill the cistern. Take out and clean (if accessible) and or replace the toilet fill valve. PS. Also maybe the toilet fill valve is old, worn and jams.

Reply to
terry

Sticking valve?

Reply to
Goedjn

Just a few questions, might figure the fill valve needs replacement.

Have you looked inside the tank, when its not filling, and tank is empty? Is the float still up? Have you tapped on it? Is it old?

tom @

LayPerson Tom

i had a similar problem over the weekend. no water would come into fill valve to fill the tank.

I have a problem with my traditional toilet in the basement bathroom. Occasionally the tank won't refill with water after the toilet is flushed, however, if I turn on the water in the bathtub beside it the tank will refill after a few seconds. What causes this problem? Thanks.

Al

Reply to
oklaman

Thanks for the ideas. Actually a few years ago I installed a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve but I didn't change the flapper at that time. The new Fluidmaster flapper didn't seem to work very well so I kept the old one because it was working OK

Now after checking it over (which I should have done in the first place), I believe the problem is due to the old flapper setup and the new fill valve occasionally interfering with each other and preventing the flapper from closing and the tank from filling. I'll try installing the new flapper again and see if that fixes the problem.

Al

Reply to
ajman51

see also the fluidmaster "flusher fixer" if your flapper is leaky or old.

Reply to
buffalobill

try this link...