Toilet tank overflowing

What is wrong with a toilet when water pours over the top of the tank all over the floor and what to do to fix it. Thanks.

Reply to
Dinah

IS IT pouring over the right or left side of the top?

this is very important

bill

Reply to
mcameron

???? Why? It shouldn't pour over either side,should it?

First, the valve float must be shot if it isn't turning the water off at all. Second the overflow must be blocked if the water can't flow out thru it fast enough to prevent it from completely filling the tank and flowing onto the floor.

Depending on the make of the toilet you can buy re-build kits that should solve the float/valve problem, and perhaps a new overflow as well. Take a close look at what your parts look like and then head to the hardware store or plumbing supply shop and see what they have the looks similar.

Good luck.

Reply to
mwlogs

I had one that leaked because the fill valve, when filling, was spraying some water up on the bottom of the lid and out. It was cracked or something but it did shut off when the tank was full.

Reply to
John D

Good point! I have one in my basement that a little does that now that I need to fix. Didn't think of that since she specifically said it was overflowing

Reply to
mwlogs