Toilet odor from septic?

We have a standard in ground septic system. About 2 or 3 years after installing a new toilet (over the concrete slab) it started to emit a septic-type odor that lasts for weeks and then fades away only to come back again. We can't seem to trace it and the bowl is clean. Could septic odor be coming through a wax seal? Thanks in advance.

Yep! Or leaking under the toilet. either way yank the shitter and check the seal.

imho:
If you have a water seal in the bowl, it would only seem like break in the piping/seal integrity. One thing, septic systems are usually vented, and so is your sewer lines, so a SWAG is that you aren't getting the full force of the septic system, but are smelling your own pipes.
I had a seal failure once, I found it because of a weird smell, and verified it by sealing up the house, and turning on every exhaust fan. Soon the 'weird smell' was fully recognized. yummy.
Good luck, and fill us in on what you find, and do.
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Worst case scenario your septic field is leaking/flooding into the ground. I knew a guy who finally traced a stink in his basement that came and went to over watering up hill in his back yard. This was bringing sewer smells up under his slab.

back
odor be

under
There's no smell on the outside. This toilet (& sink and shower) are on its own 500 gal tank. We just found the tank about a month ago. We are the second homeowner and the tank was buried without visible access tubes. Since the clean-out plug is still intact (i.e. not punched out) I presume it has never been cleaned in 26 years. I'll have it pumped but everything still works though. I'll dig around the 'poop chute' between the tank and the house and make sure it's not broken.

back
be
Yes, that's exactly what is smells like...as if I am smelling the inside of the pipe.

Then if the toilet is functioning properly, then you might want to have your installation/piping checked.
I did this, I yanked off my toliet and found the 2-3 rings installed failed. The multible rings were because the previous installer didn't rise up the closet ring to meet the new floor tile's level. Oh also, to coverup the damaged closet ring. The work looks like it was a DIY'er, he missed the sizing of the hole in a tile, and decided to bang the ring over a 1/4". Boob.
So be prepared for quick check turn iinto a larger job. :)
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
I'm with Gary. Seems like it's time for a new wax ring.

Agreed. That seems to be the likely culprit.
Thanks to everyone.