toilet leak

i have spent almost an hour looking around the internet, and i can't even seem to find anything that tells me basic information about the different kinds of toilets out there. for instance, what is the terminology to distinguish between the "regular" type of toilet, with a tank on top, that most people have in their home, and the kind with no tank, such as is found commonly in public restrooms?
anyway, in my home i have the "public restroom" type of toilet. whenever i push the flush handle, water shoots out a "seam" (what's the right word here? it's not a seam...) in the vertical tube from which the flush handle protrudes. here is a photo to make it more clear:
http://www.richardnixonjumping.com/ads/toilet1.jpg
can anyone tell me how to fix this? thanks, -k
karen wrote:

It's called a "Flushometer" valve and were made by Sloan Valve. Do a GOOGLE search for flushometer.
Some helpful info here: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sloan.html
If this is a condo or other common maint bldg, you'll want to get help from the management. The valve is supplied with high pressure (usually) and you take great risks in any DIY repair work.
Jim
Isn't that the bidet feature? :o)
Seriously, if you were to disassemble that portion of the handle you'd probably find a nylon bushing or washer that is not seated correctly or failing.
Dave