Toilet Elevated

A friend of mine, his father is handicapped. I've been asked to elevate the toilet a couple inches. Well, I've had toilets up. And replaced a flange one time. But, I'll admit that I don't know any way to elevate an entire toilet a couple inches.

I did some net search, and found booster toilet seats, and electric patient lifters. But nothing for raising the entire toilet. Anyone done this, or have a link?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Toilets do come in two heights, standard height and ADA ("comfort") height. The latter is 2" taller. Perhaps a new ADA height toilet would be simplest?

Yours, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Here you go Stormy:

For about $100 more you can replace the entire toilet with a "comfort height" toilet and that might make for a nicer, cleaner installation.

HTH.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Why wouln't you want to raise the seat?

Reply to
Noozer

----------- The only practical way to do this is but an ADA compliant toilet and install it. They're not very expensive.

Reply to
Abe

Might... I'll have to google that idea. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Makes sense to me, but that wasn't the request.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That site has a flange extension that you might need when raising the whole toilet. That plus a couple of new wax rings if needed, and possibly a longer water connection.

I would cut out about 3 layers of 3/4 inch plywood and trim to fit and then set the toilet on that. Cover the exposed area with a 2 inch strip of vinyl floor tile and caulk generously.

Reply to
JimL

If it's an old-style (14 1/2" floor-to-bowl-rim) toilet, it might be a lot easier / cheaper to just buy a new toilet that's ADA compliant. That should add roughly two inches, and the labor will be minimal.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I installed the Toilevator. It's a platform the toilet sits on, raising it by about three inches. It comes with foam gaskets, an extension for the waste pipe, and all the hardware. It took less than fifteen minutes to set up.

I didn't install an ADA toilet because those have elongated bowls and that bowl style was too long for the area the toilet was in.

I didn't use an elevated toilet seat because those are unstable and prone to slip around on the lip of the bowl, also they are messy to clean (trust me, you don't want to imagine it) and non-handicapped household members don't care to perch on a slidy untidy seat installed for the benefit of the handicapped person.

I've had the Toilevator in place for the last three years. No leaks, no problems. Turns out family and visitors love it, because face it, folks, most toilets are far too low for the average adult to comfortably lower themselves onto, and then get up. Especially when you're tall and/or stiff and sore and/or elderly. I just wish toilet manufacturers would offer non-ADA (i.e. round bowl) commodes in different heights, since that'd be the simplest solution.

Toilevator (they shoulda called it the ToiLift):

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

What makes a toilet ADA compliant is the height, not the shape of the bowl. Frankly, I'd never own a round one anyway.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

--------- American Standard makes ADA height toilets in both round and elongated styles:

Abe

Thank you, sir. That was just the boost he mighta needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's great to learn. Back when I was looking for a taller toilet I couldn't find one that didn't have an elongated bowl.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

According to Stormin Mormon :

The simplest way is to "shim" up the base of an ordinary toilet with layers of plywood or 2x lumber. On new construction, this is very easy because you just mount the flange (higher) on the top of the raised base. You may want additional reinforcement under the floor to deal with the slightly higher leverage.

[This meets our building code for handicapped toilets in semi-commercial buildings.]

If you don't want to disturb an existing toilet flange, things get tricky. A local "real" plumbing shop should have flange extenders or other solutions less expensive than replacing the toilet with a "special".

Reply to
Chris Lewis