to felt or not?

Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?
jonfechner wrote:

I would suggest a house wrap. You don't want that felt to become a vapor barrier when you don't have a proper one on the inside.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

What about an uninsulated attached garage? I have to replace the clapboard siding this summer. It has nothing under the siding now (the house is wrapped).
--
Keith

Keith Williams wrote:

I have not really done that, but I think I would use neither unless you lived in a very windy area. I would guess that either could be used.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I would use house wrap because it will let water vapor out but not let water in. Suffering from OCD I would also spend the time to overlap and tape it per the recommendations. Before I put it up I would make sure I caulked every nook and cranny with the highest quality caulk I could afford. Then I would caulk the hardie per recommendations. Don't forget the flashing on the butt joints.
Suffer once and get paid back for years.
Colbyt