Tile floor question

I'm thinking about installing ceramic tile flooring as I am in the process of updating my finished basement. Presently there is an old vinyl (or possibly asbestos) tile floor. Is is OK to put ceramic tile on top of the existing tiles, or should I remove all tiles before setting new tiles?
Thanks.
John
John,
It is better to remove the old tile as it might loosen up from moisture of the new floor anyway. If is is asbestos, I would get an asbestos abatement company to do the removal, don;t fool with your health down the road.
If it is asbestos, in many cases it's best to leave it alone as long as it isn't damaged. I agree with getting an abatement company to quote you. You might be surprised at how inexpensive it may be. I recently had 3 heating ducts removed along with their asbestos blankets and it was around $500 total, including the air sampling and testing afterward. The abatement contractors may have some way of encapsulating the tiles (spray?) so that you can safely put a floor over the top of it, though you may need to put in some cement board or something similar first and that would decrease your head room.