The right side of my breaker panel is warm to the touch.

Page 1 of 2
Everything works but I am worried that the heat may indicate problems. Should the box be replaced?
On Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:44:01 PM UTC-7, catnip wrote:

el-is-warm-to-the-touch-759574-.htm

Go through each of the breakers and list every single receptacle, light, ma chine etc. that it controls in every wall of every room. That’s what the guy who installed your service panel in the first place was supposed to do in the first place and if you call an electrician he’s going to charge yo u a whole lot of money to do it for you.
I would phone your local electrical utility to see if they can send someone out to check it.
One side shouldn't be any warmer than the other.
Maybe phone the electrical inspector and see if they'd charge anything to check it.
--
nestork

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 07:54:52 +0200, nestork

DONT USE THE PHONE, (unless it's a cellphone). Adding the electrical power needed to operate the phone will surely overload the electrical system and cause a fire.
Use a cellphone, or drive to the electric company.
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 04:36:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@twitter.com wrote:

Well, a hard-wired phone that's not FIOS only uses power that comes from the phone company.
And a cordless phone uses some of your power, but I think it uses almost as much when you're not even talking on the phone.
And it's just warm. It's not ready to catch fire yet.
On 8/15/2013 11:44 PM, catnip wrote:

Put your ear up close to the panel and listen for any sizzling sound which can indicate arcing cause by a defective breaker or a bad connection on a breaker. If you cut the breakers off one by one until the sizzling sound stops, that will be the problem breaker and time to call an electrician. ^_^
TDD

You can also hold a relatively small long screwdriver so the blade touches a breaker and the handle is 'in' your ear - a stethoscope. I agree sizzling is from arcing, and bad. Humming is normal.
My guess is the right side has 2 pole breakers that were loaded when the OP noticed one side was hotter. Or maybe random.
On 8/16/2013 9:59 AM, bud-- wrote:

I have an infrared thermometer I use to scan a panel and back in the late 1980's I was working for an electrical contracting company that had gotten into using an infrared video camera to scan electrical panels at industrial sites. Non contact thermometers have become inexpensive compared to 10 years ago when I bought my first one. You can get one at the normal male's favorite toy store. ^_^
https://tinyurl.com/p8ov754
TDD
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 07:18:42 -0700, The Daring Dufas
Arrrggg! that tiny URL did NOTHING for my systme, would you post the 'long' version too? I can always unwrap it.
On 8/16/2013 12:04 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

My system jumped right in there but here's the long link. ^_^
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-60725.html?hftref=cj
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hmmm, I bought similar thing on eBay for 12 bucks. Works well. If OP has Amprobe it'll be handy. Al. wiring by any chance? Any loose connections? Any smell?
replying to bud-- , catnip wrote:

Thank you for your help!
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:11:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It could be arcing or inductive heating. Inductive heading happens when the neutral is not in the same (metal) raceway as the hot.
If you do have inductive heating, (as someone else suggested) turning off the right breaker will cause the humming to stop.
replying to Metspitzer , catnip wrote:

Thank you for the info!
Naah, you should get a Usenet provider, and usenet reader. This is Usenet, not a web forum.
On 8/16/2013 12:44 AM, catnip wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2013 5:42:16 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Nasty person...here is the long version requested:
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-60725.html?hftref=cj

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-60725.html?hftref=cj
Isn't it sad? SM could have just politely answered the question but instead took an unwarranted jab at our new guest. Why? All because *SM* doesn't like Homeowner's Hub. Who cares *what* you like, Stormie? Worse, still he constantly reminds us how polite "his kind" is in post after post and how rude everyone else is while being nasty to a newcomer for no reason.
Matthew 7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
It means "actions speak louder that words." It means that no matter how much SM carps about how civilized his friends are, it's the ACT of slapping a new guest in the face twice that tells us who he really is, not his claims of piety. SM seems to have taken pride in both ignoring Catbyte's question AND insinuating that Catbyte has no right to be here unless they came via Usenet and a newsreader program. That tells us the kind of man he really is. A real man might realize he should apologize for such a poor welcome to a stranger. It also suggests he's obsessed with trying to tell others what do to, a noticeable problem with a lot of religious people.
Catbyte doesn't care about SM's hard-on for HH. The question was good and germane to the AFCI upgrading that many people are doing. The answer might help and number of Google searches in the future. Catbyte ended up basically solving the problem for themselves by noting they were AFCI breakers. But Stormie's got to bitch, bitch, bitch: "Oh, you're not doing it right!! Go away and come back after you do what *I* told you to do, invader!!!" Typical actions of a serious control freak and someone not quite properly socialized.
(Catbyte, if you're reading this, come back and visit through any portal you like. We'll keep the self-appointed captain of the neighborhood Portal Police at bay. Sorry you had to read about any infighting but this has been an ongoing problem of bad manners exhibited, ironically, by someone who constantly brags about how polite he is.)
--
Bobby G.

replying to Robert Green , catbyte wrote:

Your kind support and articulate defense are much appreciated. Many thanks!! Catbyte

*A little warmth is not unusual, but if it is too hot to touch there may be a problem. Feel each individual circuit breaker to see if any one of them is significantly warmer than the others. If so there may be a problem with that circuit breaker or it just may have a large load on it such as your air conditioner.
Age, overall condition, brand (FPE) and room for expansion are the usual determining factors on breaker panel replacement. You could call a professional electrician to come in and have a look inside to be on the safe side.
replying to John Grabowski , catbyte wrote:

Thank you for all the info!