The end of newsgroups?

Page 1 of 2
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that usenet is disappearing.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Agree
There are TONS of other readers out there!
I like and use Agent
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:58:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:
: :>The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that :>usenet is disappearing.: :Agree : :There are TONS of other readers out there! : :I like and use Agent
Yeah, I use Agent, pretty old version. I know of no reason to upgrade. I'm on 1.9xxx.
Dan
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:18:47 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

I still have a copy of Agent v 1.92xx. For a text group, you cannot go wrong using it. Thing is I don't believe it is still available "officially".
FYI: ZIP the Agent folder into a zip file. Save it away. The next time there is a need for a new OS / hard drive replacement, all you have to do is un-zip the file into a folder of choice (make shortcut icon). The app will run as a stand-alone - no need for a fresh install.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I used Agent for binary stuff but originally used Netscape for text groups. I've been a loyal user of Thunderbird for text groups for a few years now. I also use it for e-mail. As for binary groups, Agent got annoying to use so I use Newsbin. Newsbin actually gives real size units and values for attachments instead of Agent's nebulous "line count" to inform users of attachment size.

As more ISPs drop Usenet, there will be fewer posts.

More ISP's farm out the task. Same reason they cannot answer my questions on a local level.
Usenet is here to stay for now.
Oren wrote:

Not necessarily. Comcast never had their own NNTP servers and simply allowed us to authenticate at Giganews. Then after the NY AG was looking to make himself look good by "protecting the children" Comcast had a great excuse to eliminate access to Giganews which they promptly did. I believe most of the major ISPs did the same.

:Walter R. wrote: :> MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does :> this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no :> newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are :> being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to :> lose alt.home.repair: :The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that :usenet is disappearing. Yeah, I use a "3rd party" email/newsgroup reader, not Outlook or Outlook express. It won't affect me.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net <Dan Musicant> wrote:

I use trn4, and man is it cool. Draws a neat "tree" of the thread and where you are within it, and the arrow-keys take you back and forth within it.
At one time, maybe still does, it worked only on linux and unix. :-(
David
Walter R. wrote:

I heard this is for Europe as MS wants to avoid tangling with officials there who have gone after MS as a monopoly.
Personally, I use Mozilla programs, Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email and ng's.
Walter R. wrote:

Clearly computers allow you to install programs above and beyond what they have "out of the box". If you should happen to find yourself using that OS you could simply download and install whatever you need.
Walter R. wrote:

Wrong on both accounts.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

No.
Here's what's going on:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p028
Personally, over a year ago when I got a new computer with Vista it was a real PITA to untangle MS software from taking over my computer and getting what I wanted installed.
Frank wrote:

Not even remotely close to what the OP was talking about. Windows7 comes with WindowsLive, the new name for Outlook Express, which handles SMTP, POP, and NNTP protocols (mail and news).
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

they plan to release it w/o a browser. Not sure how they expect people to download patches or a different browser, but hey, what the PTB want, the PTB get. I presume stores over there will have near-free CDs of browsers when you buy bundled hw/sw, or shrink-wrap OS copies.
-- aem sends...

The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

And actually the browser not being an integral part of the OS is not a bad thing.
IMO it is a good thing.
To some extent it may limit the ability of scammers to "hook" into the OS.
Colbyt
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:27:00 -0400, "Colbyt"

"EU to pursue antitrust case, despite Windows 7 E"
*The EU has decided to pursue its antitrust browser case against Microsoft despite the software giant's decision to unbundle Internet Explorer 8 from Windows 7 in Europe.
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/eu-to-pursue-antitrust-case-despite-windows-7-e.ars
The EU can't make up their mind. Now they want IE as an option??