Testing a smoke detector

I am having a security system with smoke detectors installed.

The magnetic switches and infrareds are easy but, how do I test the smoke detectors? (Without setting the house on fire.)

Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

Some units have an area to place a magnet

Reply to
ransley

Light a candle and hold it a few feet from the detector. It should begin to squeal after a few minutes of smoke if it's working.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Ask the installers what they recommend for your particular units, or read the instructions, or call the manufacturer. There are aerosol sprays available, but they might not be appropriate for your detectors.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Push the "Test" button?

Reply to
HeyBub

Suggest you google "smoke pen". It is used for testing and finding drafts.

Reply to
Howard

Many home inspectors or townships use those smoke pens.

Reply to
LouB

So what did the installer say to do, ok you didnt ask yet.

Reply to
ransley

Well, yeah, but wouldn't a stick of incense (about five cents) do as well?

Reply to
HeyBub

The smokes used by professionals actually have a built-in magnetic reed switch. Have your installer show you how to test it with a magnet and ask him to leave a manual behind. Be sure to call the monitoring center and put the system on "test" before you do that.... Unless you want to see fire trucks in your driveway.

I prefer testing with "smoke in a can", available at home centers & hardware stores. Be *sure* to follow the instructions, otherwise you can clog the sensing chamber.

Do NOT use candles, cigarettes, matches, (flashlights!?!) or anything else that was suggested by some of the respondents. You could damage the sensitivity of the unit.

Reply to
G. Morgan

On 4/24/2008 5:37 PM G. Morgan spake thus:

Now that makes absolutely no sense. Unless you're saying that once a smoke detector detects smoke, it must be discarded because it's damaged; are you?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Actually, yes. Of course it depends on how much smoke. If it was just set off by the wife burning a cake in the oven, no, of course not. But holding burning items like candles and paper close to the unit can (and will) cause particulate to accumulate in the sensing chamber. See my reply to Smitty.

Reply to
G. Morgan