temp control switch on a kenmore washer

I need to replace the temp control/temp selection switch on my old kenmore-the guy who sold it to me told me how to get the old one out but its been a few weeks and duhhh....I forgot. I've got the panel off and I'm looking right at it, I've twisted and pried gently but I dont want to break it just in case this isnt the source of my troubles. So whats the trick?