Telephone Wiring Question

I have 2 separate lines - one to the upper floor and the other to the lower floor, so marked at the Network Interface Box. I have cancelled service to the lower-floor lines and would like to hook up the lower-floor jacks to the working line. Seems like the easiest way to do this would be at the NIB. Any ideas how I might accomplish this? Alternate suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks.
KKhan
On 14 Dec 2003, KublaiKhan wrote:

For each set of contacts at the NIB there are two wires that come from all of your internal phone jacks (on *your* side of the interface) simply take the two from your lower floor (LF) and move them to the upper floor (UF) screw terminals. Observe the polarity that exists: Assuming the 4 screws run vertically, move the top LF to the top of UF, the bottom of LF to the bottom of UF. You can do the same thing any place along the circuit where you have access to the 4 wires, it doesn't have to necessarily be at the NIB.
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

Top - Tip Bottom - Ring Ground - Sleeve Tony
On 14 Dec 2003, Tony Hwang wrote:

Not quite sure I see your point?! Conventional telco wiring is 2-wire, a "pair", tip and ring. No grounding involved in basic residential phone wiring. ?.
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

Yep... and also they are connected to the "center" 2 conductors of the 4 prong modular jack, so where does the top and bottom come into the picture?
Daniel L. Belton wrote:

Maybe looking at the plug? Tony
On 15 Dec 2003, Daniel L. Belton wrote:

Just telling you to maintain the relationship between them. Put the uppermost ("top") one to the uppermost ("top") position on the other location when you move them. In other words, don't cross your wires when you make the move.
current correct wrong wired move move L 1 1 1 I 1 2 A 2 2 N 3 B 3 3 E 4 4 4 L 1 1 1 I 2 2 2 A 2 B N 3 3 B 3 A E 4 4 4
snipped-for-privacy@icubed.com says...

Right, the connection between the upstairs and downstairs wiring can be done anywhere, but make sure that at the NIB, the now-unused connection between the downstairs lines and the second incoming line is severed. Otherwise you may get interference problems.
Marc
Most phone company boxes I've worked on are easy enough to get into. Around here the residential ones open with a 3/8 nut driver, and it's real easy to move the indoor wiring wires from the one set of posts to the other.
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:03:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

I would also disconnect the two wires coming in on the disconnected number. Then I would simply jumper the two wires from the disconnected number to the remaining number and I would only do this in the NIB - outside in my case.
Pj