Telephone wiring costs

In remodeling a 50yr old house including adding new siding, the telephone drop and house box were detached. The cover on the box became displaced and the probably needs to be replaced due to exposure and age (a few decades old). Any idea what the phone company charges to come out and reattach the drop to the house and replace the interface box? The service is disconncected right now but will need to be re-established when I sell the property.

Reply to
jch

Depends on the company, they will probaby will hook it up for free. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"jch"

Shouldn't be anything. Tell them it rotted off, as it did, and that they need to replace it. No need to mention the remodeling. Up to and inside that network box is their deal. The backside of that box and inside the house are your deal. Not sure how whether you are currently paying for service or not plays into that.

- Nate

Reply to
Nate

If the box was that old, they would replace it the next time there is a service call, in most instances. The idea is to eventually get everybody up to date with the "newer" 2-part demarc boxes, where their half "locks" and you can access your side for connecting the internal wiring.

Unless you really need to use the service again, I would just tack up whatever is left and let them do that (no charge) when the new owner orders service.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I wonder if they would tell you if you called? Nah, they keep things like that a secret until the bill comes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

yup, should be free to get the drop fixed and a new box. but hey, dont waste any more time posting here... call em and ask?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Which phone company? lol Call and ask them.

In most cases, there is no charge for a new customer. However, if you still have the service...and you took the box down...there's always the possibility that they may charge you to reinstall the new drop

Did you mean 'disconnected'?...or 'canceled'? We already got the impression that its disconnected! lol

Why? I don't know of any code that says you must have phone service to a house...and WIRED service, at that.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Trent©

BellSouth and I plan to call them.

I canceled the service prior to taking down the box and drop line.

I guess there's no code requirement but to a perspective buyer, having service ready would be a plus.

Will do.

Reply to
jch

The electrical code has changed significantly since that original demarc was installed. A new NID to replace the obsolete technology demarc is provided free. But to be properly installed, first upgrade the building's earthing system to comply with post 1990 code requirements. The earthing should be upgraded before phone service is installed so that everything will be earthed to a common ground point. That new NID must make a less than 20 foot connection to the same earth ground used by both AC electric and incoming cable. Where the interior wires exit the building may need be changed to meet those requirements. NID must also be mounted when interior wires exit the building. That is specifically required by new codes. Earth ground connection from each utility actually should be less than 10 feet - and meet a number of other criteria as detailed here:

are pictures of a current technology NID.

You are responsible for providing the earth ground. Every earth ground connection should be short, direct, and independent. Not all electricians fully understand these concepts that both meet and exceed current NEC requirements. Those adjectives have engineering meanings as defined in the cited posts.

Often, certificate of occupancy now requires phone service - a local requirement.

jch wrote:

Reply to
w_tom

I've NEVER seen this.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Trent©

Guaranteed, correct, and free answer: Call the phone company and ask, get all details, and record it all for when they do bill if htere is a billable part.

The wiring is THEIRS up to the Demarcation point (the box). After that, it's your responsibility. Usually phone companies charge more than a general contractor to run wires in/around the house. Ask around if you cannot do it yourself.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Okay, a call to your local phone company would have gotten this information faster than posting the question, and more accurately. The internet can't replace *everything* in your life.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran