Teflon tape on gas pipe??

I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow. Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Teflon is Teflon. Apparently some manufacturers offer a heavier tape. It may or may not be less subject to shredding. It has always been important to keep the tape back off the lead threads. I know a few plumbers that do both Teflon (white, by the way) and pipe dope on the larger size pipe - 1 1/2" and up. When I asked why I got the belt and suspenders type answer.

Do not take something apart that is functioning.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
DanG

Here is the differance in the colors of the tape. Seems the yellow is just thicker.

Ralph Mowery

In general, the yellow is thicker and higher density. I would redo it. Aren't you going to feel silly if you have a problem because you didn't want to do 20 minutes work?

Reply to
toller

I was taught to use white teflon, and also Rectorseal. The teflon allows the threads to slip tighter, and the Rectorseal does the acutal sealing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would replace it with either the gas-rated tape, or the old-fashoined gooey pipe sealer. The typical white teflon tape is not to code, or so I have been told by a plumber I happened to ask at the hardware store, who was most emphatic.

Reply to
roger61611

If the flex pipe has a flared fitting on both ends (and it should if it is for gas), then there is no need to use anything on the threads. The actual seal is between the flare and the bell end of the fitting.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Thanks for all the replies. All continues to work well and I verified that the gas connections are leak free. I did some searching on the internet and could not find any evidence of more than usual premature failures of gas water heaters [gas delivery related] because of using white Teflon tape on the gas pipe connection. My guess is that there probably is some sort of inlet screen on the thermostat to stop large particles from getting into it. Also I feel that disassembling it at this point could do more harm than good due to all the Teflon tape that would come loose in the threads during the removal process. Thanks again and next time for sure I will use the yellow stuff. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

I used the gooey stuff on mine. Each of my downward pipes that is going into the heater or furnace as a T at the bottom with dead end let with a cap on it. I guess any thing that goes down that pipe ends up in this small dead in drop area. There are several of these.

Is there any specific amouont of torque that should be on a gas pipe?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Uh-huh.

You're a dumba** too...

Reply to
HeatMan

Piece of cake.

IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the valve, he'll deny the claim.

After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.

Your life.

Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?

Reply to
HeatMan

Interesting enough today the wife and I went shopping the local home improvement chain stores [northwest Chicago] for light fixtures and I took a look at their flexible gas connection kits out of curiosity. Both chain stores included skinny WHITE Teflon tape spool with their kits for use with the gas connections. Apparently a LOT of water heaters are being installed with the white Teflon tape. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Trouble is, the people who are coming in there aren't any smarter than the people who work there. There is a gas tape. Anyone who doesn't know the difference shouldn't be working on gas lines.

Sheesh.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The only difference between "gas" tape and good old white Teflon in the thickness, and color. Other than that, they are the same. The ONLY problem using Teflon tape for gas lines is the concern of getting tape fragments into gas valves and other controls. Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge knows how to avoid that problem, using tape or not. Used properly white Teflon tape poses no problem. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I am glad surgeons don't use the same logic. "The only problem with such a surgery is the risk of pulmonary thrombosis due to clots breaking loose, but any idiot ought know how to avoid that".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What is your problem? That I did not explain how to do it? Care to clarify? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be using any type of thread sealer on gas flex pipe. Those are flare connections and no gas should even be exposed to the threads. In fact, putting anything on the threads may make it harder to get the flare connection tight enough. You only seal rigid pipe-to-fitting connections.

Reply to
Bobby_M

Omfg where do people come up with this stuff? Really God help anyone you do work for.. they will believe the sky is falling and they need to replace their muffler bearings or their car will stop working....in the middle of the freeway during rush hour.

Reply to
Crazytekkie

It is called common sense.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Actually , common sense says you're careful not to let bits of tape get to the valve in the first place - it ain't that hard . Same thing can happen if you get over-exuberant with pipe dope .

Reply to
Terry Coombs