Teflon tape on gas pipe??

Page 1 of 3
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow. Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve
Teflon is Teflon. Apparently some manufacturers offer a heavier tape. It may or may not be less subject to shredding. It has always been important to keep the tape back off the lead threads. I know a few plumbers that do both Teflon (white, by the way) and pipe dope on the larger size pipe - 1 1/2" and up. When I asked why I got the belt and suspenders type answer.
Do not take something apart that is functioning.
message

I was taught to use white teflon, and also Rectorseal. The teflon allows the threads to slip tighter, and the Rectorseal does the acutal sealing.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

for
leaving
Here is the differance in the colors of the tape. Seems the yellow is just thicker.
http://www.cleanfit.com/tapes.htm
In general, the yellow is thicker and higher density. I would redo it. Aren't you going to feel silly if you have a problem because you didn't want to do 20 minutes work?
I would replace it with either the gas-rated tape, or the old-fashoined gooey pipe sealer. The typical white teflon tape is not to code, or so I have been told by a plumber I happened to ask at the hardware store, who was most emphatic.
Steven L Umbach wrote:

If the flex pipe has a flared fitting on both ends (and it should if it is for gas), then there is no need to use anything on the threads. The actual seal is between the flare and the bell end of the fitting.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Steven L Umbach wrote:

I used the gooey stuff on mine. Each of my downward pipes that is going into the heater or furnace as a T at the bottom with dead end let with a cap on it. I guess any thing that goes down that pipe ends up in this small dead in drop area. There are several of these.
Is there any specific amouont of torque that should be on a gas pipe?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
replying to Steven L Umbach, Joe D. wrote: the yellow Teflon tape has more parts of Teflon per cm than the white tape. You should use yellow for gas and not the white.

for
leaving
Piece of cake.
IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the valve, he'll deny the claim.
After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.
Your life.
Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?
replying to HeatMan, Crazytekkie wrote:

Omfg where do people come up with this stuff? Really God help anyone you do work for.. they will believe the sky is falling and they need to replace their muffler bearings or their car will stop working....in the middle of the freeway during rush hour.
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:44:02 +0000, Crazytekkie

It is called common sense.

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Actually , common sense says you're careful not to let bits of tape get to the valve in the first place - it ain't that hard . Same thing can happen if you get over-exuberant with pipe dope .
--
Snag

But it is a LOT easier to do it right with pipe dope, and a lot easier to do it wrong with tape - (especially if you are smoking the dope in the pipe)
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 17:25:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nothing is easier than wrapping pipe threads with teflon tape, and if gas, starting the tape on the second or third thread. Besides, they make yellow tape for gas applications. I've only used pipe dope a couple times in the last 40 years. It's easier/cleaner to use tape and tape provides a better seal. BTW, were you "making" a joke there?
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 10:31:29 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:

Yes there is and that's pipe dope. Faster and easier. I can do six threads with pipe dope in the time it takes to do one with tape.

If tape is so superior for leaks, odd that code still allows for pipe dope, draws no such distinction and plumbers widely use both.
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 03:20:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

That's funny.

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.

What no one seems to be addressing is removal. Ever tried to remove tape. Tedious, but entirely possible. Try removing teflon paste? Almost impossible and at best, a PIA!!
nb