table saw paint

Hi,

I have just performed electrolytic derusting on cast iron (or steel?) extensions for a craftsman table saw. The extensions are of this variety:

Everything but the top and one of the edges were painted. I'm thinking the best thing to do might be to repaint them. Is that a good idea?

Some of the old paint remained on the adhered, btw. It would take me many hours to remove it. So I'm hoping that the new paint can go right over the old one.

If this is a good idea, can you recommend the right paint?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I enjoy the convenience of spray paint for stuff like this. Some of the best paint and primers are Duplicolor, available at auto parts stores.

I also use Rustoleum spray primer. It works well and doesn't seem to clog up in the can the way some others have;

DanG

I would handle it in similar fashion to iron lawn furniture, with one of the rustoleum products. I think they make a nice machinery gray. Failing that, go to tractor supply, in the tractor parts aisle- they have the actual industrial coatings, which probably aren't much different, but at least they will be more expensive. Take care not to muck up and of the adjustment points for leveling the table, if your saw has those.

And as previously discussed on here, wax the top. I'd do it first, so any paint overspray or drips are easy to remove.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Do those rustoleums need a primer?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Read the spray can label. Some do not need the primer.

Joe

Reply to
Joe