T1-11 vs fiber cement lap siding

The T-1-11 siding on my house in Maryland lasted 30 years. It's getting soft on all the edges now, and we have had some carpenter ants move in a couple places.

I plan to tear off the T-1-11 and replace with 1/2" pressure treated plywood. We are planning to install cedar shakes in the front and hardiplank lap siding on the sides and back. We like the look of cedar shingles, and happened into some leftovers from a friend's recent installation.

We chose this over vinyl because we think it looks more appropriate our older community.

Reply to
Paulaner

I'm in a similar situation, Paulaner. About the same age on the siding but the design onf this tract house and its hip roof don't lend well to a plain, horizontal siding. The vertical orientation of the T1-11 ie appealing in this application. By the same token the majority of people believe that it looks cheap. I'll probably end up with a vinyl or Hardi srfac in the ext year or two. Da**!

Reply to
C & E