Swimming pool fencing

I need to put a fence around my in-ground pool for insurance reasons. Does anyone know if a normal split-rail fence with wire mesh on the outside would satisfy the safety requirements? I would rather not put up a chain-link fence. Thanks, Harding
Harding,
This is a matter to take up with your home insurer and your county building department.
Dave M.
Harding wrote:

Easy, check with your insurance company to find out what minimum dimensions and materials would fulfill their requirements.
I will assume the Florida law is typical. It requires a 48" fence with slats a 4" ball won't fit through. If it is a mesh the holes have to be small enough so it is hard to climb. 1 1/4" to 2 1/4" max depending on the pattern. Gates have to be self closing and latches have to be 54" high. That is why you see those extensions above the gate.
BTW for you folks trying to secure your pool after the hurricane blew down your screen cage, most AHJs will take that orange plastic "OSHA fence" if it is securely mounted.
Hello Harding, Mike D here, All are correct, check with ins. carrier on pool fencing & or city agencies, fence choice may not be yours to make.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE HERE THINKS! THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THE LAW WHERE YOU ARE. CHECK WITH THE LOCAL INSPECTORS AND YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. caps intentional.
This is a life and death project. Check with the local laws and do it right. How about a wrought iron fence? I owned a wrought iron company for nine years. We did a couple of jobs after a child had drowned. The stuff people put up and think it is safe, and is within their "rights" on their property is amazing.
You need to go to the pros on this one. Don't look here.
Steve

He needs to find out exactly what his local code is. Here's mine:
87-81. Fences. All pools shall be completely enclosed by a fence and all fence openings or points of entry into the pool area enclosure shall be equipped with gates. The fence and gates shall be not less than four feet in height above the grade level and shall be constructed of any material which has no aperture or opening exeeding six inches at any point. All gates shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching devices placed at the top of the gates and all gates shall be locked whenever the pool is unattended. Oh and Steve... Lakes are not fenced. Oceans are not fenced. And people don't drown in them all the time.

I find that strange myself. Code Enforcement just wrote a ticket on my neighbor's pool because his screen cage is down but his pool is 35 feet from the river (dock, sea wall etc). Pure insanity
On 08 Sep 2004 23:35:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

Has to do with a pool being an invitation to swim. We just had a kid drown in a pool after Charley blew down the screen enclosure. Locally, Code Enforcement has suspended ticketing/fining owners for missing enclosures due to hurricanes, but you do get a warning posted. It varies, but it's something like ten days to get a temporary fence in place or face fines.
And you still get sued...
Jeff

Like most things that are beyond reason, it is lawyer driven.

No reason not to countersue the laxidasical parents for not properly supervising their carpet munchers.

Also has much more to do with a pool being an unnatural addition and not being there as a natural feature of the land!

Insurance companies classify this as an "attractive nuisance" to raise your rates. Trampolines are in the same classification.
Steve

Not Allstate, I asked in July when I put in a pool. I have the good policy but they said a pool doesn't change my rate.
wrote

your
"attractive nuisance" is not a liability to the owner, it's the stupidity of the pedestrian. a parked motorcycle was once labeled as an "attractive nuisance" a pedestrian decided to sit on it and fell over, thus getting injured and tried holding the vehicle owner responsible for have an attractive equipment in a public area.
thongs are outlawed for it's "attractive nuisance" but if a fat chick wears one... wouldn't it be "unattractive nuisane"?
insurance companies use statistical analysis to determine rates... if there is a high claim rate for trampolines, then it will have higher rates above homeowners that do not have one. same with pools...
-a|ex

Hmmm, I fell off a fat chick once and hurt my back. I should have sued.
:............... How about a wrought iron fence?
we put up an aluminum fence that "looked" like wrought iron, but was much cheaper...........................it looked great, was safe and met all requirements for our area!

... and you don't have to paint it every couple years.
we moved after ten years, and the aluminum fencing NEVER needed any repair.
--
Voting is a federal right, and the rights of students to register to
vote where they attend college is guaranteed by federal law in