Swimming pool conversion

Build the cistern cover as a raft, or just build a regular gable-roof, or even a complete shed over it.

The best way to do that is to just pump well-water into the cistern with a 2" or bigger air-gap, to prevent backflow.

There should not be any plumbed connection, or you risk cistern-water ending up in your well, which will screw up the well.

Reply to
Goedjn

thanks its a novel idea, you might consider ading a vinyl liner to the pool, which would minimize leak potential

Reply to
hallerb

Raft system is what I"m looking at, probably reinforced cement sheeting. It can be properly sealed all the way around, and provide a good flat surface to walk around on so long as we build a good sturdy structure to hold it.

Provided we have enough rain, we shouldn't have any real issues with capturing water. It's currently almost at the point of overflowing as we've had a lot of rain. I will probably look at using groundwater as a topup system as well.

Reply to
Wayne

Just in case anyone is still monitoring this post, we've been advised by the experts now, and it is feasible, with a lot of money involved, to attach to the house system.

Having said that, the amount involved to make it potable is prohibitive for now, perhaps down the track we will consider that option.

For now we are looking at meshing the top securely to stop insects and such, decking over the top, and using the water for irrigation, laundry and toilet flushing. This will save a lot of wastage on it's own.

If you want to know how that goes, email me and I will pass along what the effects are in future. Wayne

Reply to
Wayne