Swamp cooler problems

Problems with swamp cooler water distribution. One of three pads getting little water. Tried pushing a small snake through the tubes and they seem to be clear. Evidently the water distribution hub is plugged up. Anyone have any ideas to clear it without disassembling the whole distribution system? Temps are well above 100 and will get worse as time goes on. I'm 78 with back problems. Anything other than hiring ($$$$) it done?
All I can think of is to remove the hose and screwed in connecting tube from the hub and try to poke a wire into the troubled tubes. I don't have much faith in that idea and it will be very difficult to get at.
Suggestions? Probably no easy way.
TIA

You might try using an arts-and-craft pipe cleaner in the hub. Since there is no electrical/mechanical mechanism in the hub, it basically has to be a clog. I would start by cleanning the hub as good as can be, then crimp off the known-good lines. This would allow more water pressure thru the bad lines. Hopefully this helps dislodge the blockage.
Of course, this is easier said than done, if you're on a hot roof, or up on a ladder. Good luck with it.
Robin

Good! Hadn't thought of that. Now to think of a way to block the other tubes. Modelling clay or putty first comes to mind but I don't have any. A quick consideration doesn't come up with anything else commonly avaiable. Caulk too permanent. Ideas anyone?

Nope. Hard, brittle plastic.

On 6/3/2013 10:57 AM, KenK wrote:

they make plugs for 1/8" tubing. available in the drip irrigation system area of home depot.
it's not very high pressure. i would bet duct tape would work for temporary plugs.

I'll bet you're right on the duct tape! Thanks. Saves me a trip to HD/Lowes.

Whittle stick in shape of tapered cork plug. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Now to think of a way to block the other

Nope. Hard, brittle plastic.

Discovered this morning a sharpened pencil plugs a line nicely. That and a little duct or even Scotch tape should do it.

On 6/3/13 9:56 AM, KenK wrote:

Consider trying to blow the tubes/hub clear with a can of compressed air. Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot etc) sell them for cleaning computers, printers, etc.

Think that will work better than the water pressure from the cooler pump? If so, I'll try it.

On 6/3/13 12:55 PM, KenK wrote:

I was thinking that if the normal flow and pressure is not clearing the blockage, you need something to reverse the pressure and flow.
Perhaps you could try "reverse blowing" the lines and hub with water pressure from a garden hose. Might be a bit messy !

That's an interesting idea. Could well work. But have to figure out how to channel the hose outlet into that little plastic line. Duct tape again? It'd probably come loose.

On 6/4/13 1:06 PM, KenK wrote:

Perhaps with something like this fitting used on drip lines
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Corp-3-4-in-Hose-Thread-x-1-4-in-Compression-Fitting-C37B/100137634#.Ua5TxOvrkfo
Can you run one of these from below? http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-spring-steel-drain-trap-cleaner-96043. html Clear out the calcium buildup? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Think that will work better than the water pressure from the cooler pump? If so, I'll try it.

ID of tubing is 3/15. I doubt that a 3/16 snake would fit and follow bends. Besides, Dial Cooler Parts makes a cooler snake which I already tried several times.

That dustoff stuff is probably hydro-bromo-choloro-fluoro-metzo-piano-carbons, and does a lot of damage to the Bozone slayer.
I'd think some CLR or dilute muriatic acid sprayed into the system, to dissolve the calcium scale. But, I'm probably out inspace. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Consider trying to blow the tubes/hub clear with a can of compressed air. Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot etc) sell them for cleaning computers, printers, etc.

You need something acidic to dissolve built-up crud. Try vinegar first, then stronger stuff if that fails.

I have a gallon of distilled white binegar. Say put the cooler pump in a baking pan, add three cups of vinegar, turn on. Better yet, as some one else suggested, plug the working lines to concentrate the vinegar where it is needed.
Problem I see is that quite possibly the house will smell of ninegar, or if that doesn't work, perhaps swimming pool acid, for a few months. I don't think the vinegar or acid will harm the pump, pads, etc. when it gets mixed into all the cooler water.

And I had a tooth ache yesterday, so I was sick.
If the foo.... http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbowman/birds/humor/foo_bird.html . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

What's a racist? Is that someone who likes NASCAR or NHRA drag racing? o_O
TDD