Swamp cooler problems

Problems with swamp cooler water distribution. One of three pads getting little water. Tried pushing a small snake through the tubes and they seem to be clear. Evidently the water distribution hub is plugged up. Anyone have any ideas to clear it without disassembling the whole distribution system? Temps are well above 100 and will get worse as time goes on. I'm 78 with back problems. Anything other than hiring ($$$$) it done?

All I can think of is to remove the hose and screwed in connecting tube from the hub and try to poke a wire into the troubled tubes. I don't have much faith in that idea and it will be very difficult to get at.

Suggestions? Probably no easy way.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

You might try using an arts-and-craft pipe cleaner in the hub. Since there is no electrical/mechanical mechanism in the hub, it basically has to be a clog. I would start by cleanning the hub as good as can be, then crimp off the known-good lines. This would allow more water pressure thru the bad lines. Hopefully this helps dislodge the blockage.

Of course, this is easier said than done, if you're on a hot roof, or up on a ladder. Good luck with it.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

Consider trying to blow the tubes/hub clear with a can of compressed air. Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot etc) sell them for cleaning computers, printers, etc.

Reply to
Retired

You need something acidic to dissolve built-up crud. Try vinegar first, then stronger stuff if that fails.

Reply to
hrhofmann

rlz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Good! Hadn't thought of that. Now to think of a way to block the other tubes. Modelling clay or putty first comes to mind but I don't have any. A quick consideration doesn't come up with anything else commonly avaiable. Caulk too permanent. Ideas anyone?

Reply to
KenK

Retired wrote in news:ydadnY5QYpGtJDHMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Think that will work better than the water pressure from the cooler pump? If so, I'll try it.

Reply to
KenK

" snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

I have a gallon of distilled white binegar. Say put the cooler pump in a baking pan, add three cups of vinegar, turn on. Better yet, as some one else suggested, plug the working lines to concentrate the vinegar where it is needed.

Problem I see is that quite possibly the house will smell of ninegar, or if that doesn't work, perhaps swimming pool acid, for a few months. I don't think the vinegar or acid will harm the pump, pads, etc. when it gets mixed into all the cooler water.

Reply to
KenK

Oren wrote in news:9ajpq85a98rv2hku9bejhlo2gs4r73su27@

4ax.com:

Nope. Hard, brittle plastic.

Reply to
KenK

they make plugs for 1/8" tubing. available in the drip irrigation system area of home depot.

it's not very high pressure. i would bet duct tape would work for temporary plugs.

Reply to
chaniarts

chaniarts wrote in news:koim7r$3oo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'll bet you're right on the duct tape! Thanks. Saves me a trip to HD/Lowes.

Reply to
KenK

I was thinking that if the normal flow and pressure is not clearing the blockage, you need something to reverse the pressure and flow.

Perhaps you could try "reverse blowing" the lines and hub with water pressure from a garden hose. Might be a bit messy !

Reply to
Retired

That dustoff stuff is probably hydro-bromo-choloro-fluoro-metzo-piano-carbons, and does a lot of damage to the Bozone slayer.

Consider trying to blow the tubes/hub clear with a can of compressed air. Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot etc) sell them for cleaning computers, printers, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Think that will work better than the water pressure from the cooler pump? If so, I'll try it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope. Hard, brittle plastic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:u18rt.149763$ snipped-for-privacy@fed13.iad:

Discovered this morning a sharpened pencil plugs a line nicely. That and a little duct or even Scotch tape should do it.

Reply to
KenK

Retired wrote in news:WpOdnZcpH9HqfTHMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's an interesting idea. Could well work. But have to figure out how to channel the hose outlet into that little plastic line. Duct tape again? It'd probably come loose.

Reply to
KenK

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:2U7rt.229735$ snipped-for-privacy@fed04.iad:

ID of tubing is 3/15. I doubt that a 3/16 snake would fit and follow bends. Besides, Dial Cooler Parts makes a cooler snake which I already tried several times.

Reply to
KenK

Perhaps with something like this fitting used on drip lines

Retired

And I had a tooth ache yesterday, so I was sick.

What's a racist? Is that someone who likes NASCAR or NHRA drag racing? o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon