Surge Protective Receptacles

Folks here helped me in another thread about whole house surge protection in the electrical breaker panel.

The other day TOH had an episode on the methods for homes; including, the use of _Surge Protective Receptacles_.

One was installed behind a wall mounted television panel. It has an alarm that sounds when it reaches end of life service. Thought I would mention it to folks.

Samples:

Reply to
Oren

If the receptacle doesn't also get the cable coming into the TV you may create more problems than you fix,. A strip with a TV jack is the best way to go.

Reply to
gfretwell

And those outlets are ~ $37

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Yes, for effective protection you want the cable TV cable to go through the surge protector too. And if the TV is connected to something else, eg Tivo, DVD player, etc, those should be plugged into the same surge protector as well. I could see using the receptacle type ones for special situations, eg where no space is available, but for general purpose use, I would go with the strip type.

Reply to
trader4

I strongly agree. When using a point-of-use protector all interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same protector and all external external connections, including phone, cable, dish, need to go through the protector.

IMHO the electrical in TOH leaves something to be desired. I thought this one was bad advice when I saw the episode. In Ask-TOH there was a roof-top TV antenna installation that seriously violated the NEC and was contrary to the installation instructions from the manufacturer.

The receptacle is UL1449 listed, but I suspect the ratings are lower than what I would want. I did not find ratings in a rather limited search at the URL above.

Reply to
bud--