Surefire test for a worki

Mikey:
M > I was reading that not all 3-prong outlets have a working ground - M > nothing sinister, just previous owner home repair that didn't bother to M > insure grounding integrity. This house was built in 1940 so I'd like a M > way to test all the outlets.
Go to the electrical department of a big box store, hardware store, or Radio Shack and get an outlet tester (around $10.00). Is about half the size of your fist with three prongs on one end and three LEDs on the other. (I've had yellow and dark reds ones, if that helps to locate quickly.)
Plug the unit into an outlet. Two LEDs should light up - the correct ones indicated by the chart on the unit. (On my yellow tester I used a permanent marker to indicate the two correct ones.) You should test both outlets -- the top one can be separated from the bottom one with links; the link can break or be removed as in the case of switched outlet.
I will periodically test outlets around here as I'm doing something major in the room like painting or moving furniture.
- » barry.martin■AT■thesafebbs.zeppole.com «
* At a towing company: "We don't charge an arm and a leg. We want tows."
--
■ RoseReader 2.52ß P003186
■ The Safe BBS ■ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971