Suggestions For The Beginner's Toolbox

Before I got married, my future wife bought me a Makita cordless drill. That tool has paid for itself over and over again as we remodel our house. This is a decent drill, but the Dewalt cordless drill is probably better.

Don't buy tools until you need them. What you need depends on what project you are doing.

I have been on a molding kick as I have been remodeling bedrooms. So the miter saw has been priceless. A portable air compressor also is great tool for bradnailers or shooting texture on walls. Every project you do yourself pays for the tools you use.

Reply to
ck

Man! I completely struck gold!!!

Thank you all for sharing a bit o' your wisdom here. I'm blown away by the great suggestions, and I got a handful of belly laughs to boot. You guys are great.

You've also made me realize I need to focus on the work space as well, which I'll ask about in a new thread.

A thousand thank yous!

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

I've already put in about a dime's worth of my own ideas on this topic. But I'd like to add a few words in defense of lower quality tools.

There are some types of tools where poor quality will lead to almost instant frustration. Diagonal pliers and cutters come to mind. The Chinese ones bind up even before they rust, and then they rust.

But there are other categories of tools that I think every handyman should have a few crappy examples of. Screwdrivers, for example. A good screwdriver with a hardened tip and a nice large, easy-to-grip handle is a lovely thing. But my cheap Stanley yellow-and-black-plastic-handle-that-came-ten-in-a-blister-pack screwdrivers are cheap enough to keep a couple in the kitchen, my electrical tool box, my plumbing tool box, the yard etc.

More advantages: While you should get a couple of good screwdrivers in the sizes and styles you will use often, most people don't need the ultimate quality for the #3 Torx. So get an inexpensive set to cover all the less common styles. I also like to have a few screwdrivers that I won't mind opening a can with, or lending to the neighbors.

It's good to have a couple of cheap hammers, too. Same criteria: Don't use an uncomfortable hammer to drive dozens of nails, but keep a couple of cheapos in your tool boxes for when a little "persuasion" is required. I found some adjustable wrenches at the local $1 store. They wouldn't stand up to daily use (although they are better than you might expect), but they are just right to throw in my special-purpose tool kits. I keep the Crescent brand one in the shop.

You'll have to use your judgment to decide which cheap tools will be useful.

Greg Guarino PS: Definitely stay away from the Vise-Grip knockoffs.

Reply to
Greg

Sorry for coming in late on the thread...

To get first: Basic hand tools: screwdrivers, hammer, tape mesure, level, utility knife, channel lock pliers, needle nose pliers, vise grip pliers and a small "tool box saw" Putty knife, and 8" drywall knife

I also recomend one of those "stanley wonder bars" kinda like a crowbar, but flat steel.

Power tools: Variable speed drill (pref cordless) Jig saw.

To get next:

Framing square, Circular saw, chisels, as many differant kinds of wrenches you can find, recipricating saw, another drill,

By this point, you will have an idea of what kind of projects you will be doing, and can gather accordingly.

One note I will add that is differant from what others have said on here. buy cheap tools to start. For $200.00, you could get one of almost everything, but the cheap models. As the tools wear out or break (and they will quickly) replace them with medium to high end tools. This keeps your inital cost down, and lets you get the better tools over time. this way, you will also have an idea of what you use and what you don't. No sence in buying a $200.00 router and use it once, when you could have had a $30.00 drill, 80.00 router, 40.00 circ saw, and 50.00 of hand tools. when the drill wears out in a year (or less) then spend a hundred bucks for one and use it forever. Meanwhile, the 80$ router can sit on the shelf as well as the 200$ one.

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

Reply to
Dave Allyn

I'd start with a couple of expensive, high quality books like the Black n Decker, "Home Repair" and "Home Improvement" books.

A "toolbox" is essential, like previous poster mentioned. I like the BucketBoss TM tool organizer check out

This sort of organizer makes it easier to get the tools to the project site.

I have a great Stanley 15-333 "Folding Pocket Saw" Go to

, then click "saws", "specialty saws". It accepts any recipricating or sabre saw to suit the task at hand.

Don't buy junk. There's nothing more frustrating than a cheap tool.

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias

On 11/30/2004 1:42 PM US(ET), Steve Nekias took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I just bought a red canvas one at HD last week. Fits a standard 5 gallon joint compound tub or paint bucket, or the one that I am using, a 40 lb chlorine tablet container. Various sized pockets, both open end and closed end, and tool loops all over the outside and inside. Cost $10.79 after NY tax.

Reply to
willshak