Suction Cups Holding ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
Have a bird feeder that is held against the glass window via the typical soft plastic suction cups.
They hod, but only for a relatively short time; perhaps a day or two.
What is the secret to getting them to hold on longer ?
Moisten first ?
Light oil ?
Or,...?
Is there any kind, brand, or style, that perhaps works better, that I can replace with ?
Thanks, Bob
On 04/13/2014 10:21 AM, Bob wrote:

Yes, try moistening them
if that does not work, use a little clear RTV

Definitely.

Water. I'm not sure if that dries out or not. Try it for a couple years and let us know.

Yes, they're called Watercups, and they're just like the one you have, but they come packed in water.

Just kidding.
Moistening the suction cups will help them keep the suction by filling the microscopically small roughness in the rubber cup. However, water evaporates and once it does, you're back to square one. I would use a very light oil like WD40 on the rubber cups and/or glass before applying the suction cups. The oil will fill the roughness just like moisture, but it won't evaporate.
--
nestork

On 4/13/2014 11:21 AM, Bob wrote:

Wet them and be sure the window is perfectly clean. None are perfect, but bigger and thicker is better You may get a couple of weeks, but I've never seen a suction cup last forever.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:02:11 -0700, nestork

Won't the WD40 deteriorate the plastic cup, at least whether it will or not is unknown.
Will mineral oil, olive oil, or such work?

I've found glycerine works pretty good. GlysoMed hand creme works too. Some people use soap. Not enough of either to allow it to slide down the window!!!
Hi,
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Will give Glycerine a try.
Any idea where to get/buy a very small amount ?
Bob ----------------------
On 4/13/2014 3:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Your local pharmacy in the first aid aisle.

If you have a glycerin modem, you might even be able to get a free sample online.
Or a solid-and-liquid modem. But they don't download as fast.

Mix it with Nitric Acid and you have nitroglycerine
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:35:51 -0700, RobertMacy

WD40 is a crap-shoot at best. It evaporates like water, and depending what the cup is made of, can seriously degrade it in short order.
Glass shops use glycerin on their rubber installers cups, taxi and pizza delivery companies used glycerine on the suction cups of the rooftop signs. It works good for sticking things to bathroom tile, things like towel bars etc. It used to be on the instructions of many suction mounted devices to wet the cup with one drop of glycerine,spread thinly across the surface.
And it washes right off after you remove the suction cup - unlike RTV.
On 4/13/2014 3:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I like the glycerin idea. The suction cup which holds my Magellan GPS seems to fall off about four times a year, usually when there is a sudden temperature shift (it is sitting on the floor of the car right now). I'll pick up a little bottle of glycerin the next time I go shopping and give it a go.
On 4/13/2014 3:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Glass shops/glaziers could use it, but I was in the glass business for 25 years and I never saw a glazier use it. I never worked for a company that even stocked it. Woods Power Grips last a LONG time w/o any "conditioning" needed. The vacuum pump fails way before the rubber surface does.
The plain old windshield suction cups sitting in my garage that are about 15+ years old are almost as pliable as they were when they were new, and they have only been cleaned with glass cleaner.
On 4/13/2014 3:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I finally managed to find a small quantity of pure glycerin -- not an easy thing since your normal CVS/Walgreens-type pharmacy don't sell such old-style things any more. I've re-stuck my Magellan GPS's bracket back to the windscreen and now we'll see how long the suck lasts. It takes a vanishingly small quantity to do the job. I used too much the first time and the bracket just slid down the glass like a crawling slug before I even added the weight of the electronics. Of course it didn't pop off so that may be a good sign.

Like the RTV idea. Even if doesn't hold the vacuum seal, it should act as an adhesive. Easily scraped off with a razor blade if it fails. WD40 is junk. Useless. I've actually got a suction cup placed on a tile to hold my razor. It's overdue to come off. Hasn't fallen off in more than year. Only one I use. They're only for VERY light duty use.
On 04/13/2014 08:21 AM, Bob wrote:

Do you work for avast.com, or do you just like spamming for them?
Jon
RobertMacy;3222140 Wrote:

Good point. And, cooking oil is readily available in every home's kitchen.
--
nestork

On 4/13/2014 6:28 PM, nestork wrote:

I've had cooking oil go rancid.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I hang a humming bird feeder full. Clean the glass with Windex spit on the cups, rub around, stick. I think my cups are still on the window from last year.
Greg