Stupid Reasons to Blow Circuit Breakers

Page 1 of 2
A Humbling Post here:
I go years without popping a breaker and then I pop 2 different ones in one day - both of which were my own fault.
1 - Cleaning the garage the day after Thanksgiving. It's a bit cool out, so I plug in the electric heater. There's also a freezer in the garage and 3 light fixtures. Everything is fine all day and I'm nice and toasty. Then 5 PM hits, the timer for the Christmas lights turns on and suddenly I'm standing in the dark. Oh well, almost done, I'll live without the heater.
2 - I need another shelf in the garage so I grab a piece of scrap and head down to the shop. I keep the table saw on a rolling base, pulling it away from the wall when I need to use it. I pull it out, make 1 cut and start another one when I see sparks by the motor and the saw stops. Damn! Did I blow the motor?
Nah. In my haste, I hooked the power cord for the drill press with the table saw's belt cover when I rolled it out. Everything is black on that part of the saw and there's a black cord from the switch to the motor in that area, so I just didn't see the extra cord - it all just blended in.
I was fine for one cut, but halfway through second cut the belt wore through the drill press power cord and shorted it out, blowing the breaker.
Learnings: Haste makes waste, at least 2 of my breakers work fine, the garage needs another circuit.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd hate to tell you how many times in the last twenty years I've nicked or cut through the (orange) extension cord I need to use when trimming the shrubs around our house with and electric hedge trimmer.
Thank G_d for GFI breakers.
You were correct, Haste makes waste (and babies too). <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 12/02/10 12:59 pm, jeff_wisnia wrote:

*I* have not done it, but another member of the family has (more than once), so we now have a cordless hedge trimmer.
Perce

== Ask Santa to send you an extra elf assistant to watch over you and protect you from yourself. In any case remember the emergency number 911 and keep a phone handy in the garage...a first-aid kit as well. <g>
==

A exciting day:(
I was rototilling and it hit a big rock:( bucked and hit the main entrance cable, shower of sparks.
I nearly died that day. for real. my neighbor had just put the rubber hand grips back on the tiller. without them standing in wet mud i would of been electrocuted for sure

Uh-huh... The electricity would've skipped over a steel path straight to ground (i.e. tiller tines) to go through your high-resistance carcass?
On Dec 2, 4:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

thats a interesting thought i never even considered.....
well one day for sure i will lose..... but it wasnt that day:)

== Through my lifetime I have had about six or so substantial tickles that I have encountered. How many tickles are allowed before the big zapper gets you? ==
On 12/4/2010 12:18 PM, Roy wrote:

I hope we are allowed a hell of a lot of tickles. I've had thousands of tickles, and a hundred or so pretty damn bad shocks that left easily seen burnt marks on my fingers. Mostly small burns, but burns indeed.

What constitutes a "tickle"?
I got hooked to a 300VDC power supply while taking an electronics course in the Coast Guard.
It was stuck between my hands and I lifted the 20 lb device off of the workbench like it was weightless.
The current went in one hand, across my chest and out the other. I have burn scars on both hands where they were in contact with the chassis.
A classmate tried to pull the plug by grabbing the cord, but the power strip came off the workbench with it. Another classmate reached over and slammed the power strip back down onto the workbench, finally killing the power.
I spent the night in the hospital and when I returned to class the next day 2 things had changed:
1 - All of the power strips were screwed to the workbenches. 2 - 3 guys quit the class and decided not to become Electronics Technicians.
Meanwhile, I went on to become a LORAN Transmitter Technician, working on equipment that had power supplies that produced 25K VDC.

most schools have kill switches thruout room that kill all workbenches when pushed, a big red button

Schools may have emergency power switches now, but this was in 1975 in a school housed in converted horse stables/army barracks on USCG Base Governor's Island, NYC.
This image shows the building that housed the Coast Guard schools, barracks and offices back then. Note the arched brickwork in the lower right. There are many more of these converted entrances all along the front of the building behind the trees.
Those used to be the entrances to the horse stables when the Army used the island in the 1800 and 1900's. The horses lived on the first floor, the soldiers above. The smell must have been interesting.
http://tinyurl.com/Ligget-Hall
We used to have to walk the entire length of the spooky, dimly lit attic, punching a Detex clock, as part of our security and fire-watch rounds. Not my favorite activity at two in morning.
Here's a view of the center structure. Each of the arched windows was a former entrance to a stable that has since been converted to an office or classroom..
http://tinyurl.com/Liggett-Hall-Main
<stuff snipped>

Ironically it was around that same time in one of the last operating stables in NYC (Clove Lake in Staten Island) that I learned about another of the many ways to get injured. I was mucking out the stables where we kept the draft hourses. They were all Clydesdales, the REALLY big horses that pull the Annheiser Busch beerwagons and the horse I was behind when I had my "near death" experience was one of our "famous" horses that was part of a team that pulled haywagons through the streets of Staten Island.
This particular horse, Judy and her mate, Punch had once "starred" in the movie 'Hello Dolly' and unfortunately been abused by some idiot with a broom when she was younger. I was walking directly behind her, holding the broom, not realizing how skittish she was about them when someone started to warn me about walking too close to her. I turned my back on her to hear what my friend was saying at the same time she became aware of me walking behind her with the dreaded broom. BOOM! She used her incredibly powerful rear legs to kick me squarely in the butt, as hard as she could. I flew across the width of the barn, hit the wall, and slid down to the ground, miraculously not crippled for life, but with the imprint of a horseshoe on my butt for a month thereafter.
Had I not turned completely I would have either been gelded or had my spine or hip fractured. I never walked within kicking range again. That which does not kill me makes me awfully wary the next time! I had no memory of being airborne, although my friends said I flew in a perfect arc across the stable like a scene in a movie where a train hits a car and the car goes flying. All I knew was that one moment I was standing behind a horse and the next moment I was somewhere else, sliding down the opposite wall in a heap on the ground with a very sore butt. I didn't even know what had happened until someone told me.
Afterwards all the old-timers told me about all the people they had known that had been gimped for life by getting kicked like that. I could easily believe that a hit to the noggin could be very, very serious if not fatal. I got plenty of injuries at the stables. I put a 10P rusty nail clean through my foot (I saw the tip pop through the top of my boot), got thrown from a spooked horse with my foot tangled in the stirrup and got dragged, rodeo style to the delirous laughter of my buddies. I got thrown into the street while driving a haywagon down Victory Blvd. when the entire rear end of the wagon fell off, dumping about 25 passengers into the street as the horses, now pulling a much lighter load, took off like rockets, dragging me behind them, trying to stop them. I got bitten by nearly every animal in the small zoo they had on premises, too, and remember getting chased around something fierce by a freaking swan! They may look pretty, but they're vicious!
I suspect they don't run those rides anymore if only because of the ever-increasing number of drunken idiots that would honk horns or throw beer bottles at the horses. It was a hell of an experience for a city-born kid, though, and I doubt there were a lot of people in NYC that could harness up and drive a team of horses. I learned to be attentive to detail because if you connected any of the traces the wrong way, all sorts of disasters could result.
-- Bobby G.
On 12/6/2010 3:16 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I've never really spent much time around horses but I've always been told not to approach one from behind unless the horse knows you're there. The last horse I saw was a really sweet animal that craved attention like a lonely puppy, an eight hundred pound puppy. The poor horse was kept in a small fenced area with no one spending much time with the animal. :-(
TDD
wrote in message

That's sad :(
Years ago as a 10 year old there was an old farm nearby. They didn't do farming anymore, but still had a horse. We used to come by to visit and pet it and give apples. At some point the old farm was sold and houses built in it's place.
When the commericals come on TV for abused animals I have to change the channel. They play the real sad music and show hurt animals with their sad faces and injuries. I can't sleep if I see one of those ads.
On 12/6/2010 5:45 PM, Marina wrote:

I eat animals and I'm not the sort of person who will step over a starving, crying human child to pick up a whining puppy, perhaps second but there are people who care more about some obscure lizard than they care about me and thee. I suppose you can tell a lot about about a man based on how he treats other living things. There's a lot of difference between domesticated food animals, game, pets and vermin. There are also differences in the way other cultures look at the same creature. I enjoy fried chicken while another fellow across the ocean may enjoy fried rat. I love the TV show where the chef goes around the world to try out the food of every culture.
If I see a kid using a kitten for punting practice, I know there is something very wrong with with his mind. The same goes for someone who would catch a mouse and giggle hysterically as he dangles it over a flame. I've never seen a sane hunter torture a deer or other prey and the same goes for a sane exterminator. I suppose it's OK to hate vermin like roaches, rats, mice and Democrats but the way you dispose of them indicates a lot about your mental health. :-)
TDD

Too bad. That actually had the makings of a decent, caring and thoughtful post.
Ah well, true colors and all that.
On 12/6/2010 10:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I always seem to trip over the humor impaired. I can only feel sorry for them. :-)
TDD
<snippage>
== Yoiks, my tickles were never as bad as that...I didn't have any burns. ==

DC tends to burn much worse than AC..
I repair office machines for a living and have gotten zapped many times.
One time I found a manufacturers defect:( I turned a key lock switch and ended up across the room looking up from the floor.....