Stucco repair help

I moved into a townhome and the HOA recently repaired some stucco cracks with caulk. But the contractor simply painted over the caulk so now the cracks/repairs are very evident. The stucco is very "popcorny" and so the finish goes from stucco to flat calk back to stucco all over the place and it looks terrible.

Is there some type of product/procedure anyone would recommend to match the finish? Something to apply over the caulk before repainting?

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
mikeorb

yep, its called stucco!

Reply to
Punch

As usual - you're full of shit.

Reply to
G Henslee

You're absolutely right! To find a licensed union stucco installer/applicator, just go to your local bar. Look for the guy who looks like he has been there three days. The one at the end of the bar that sounds like he is speaking Norwegian.

That stucco is complicated intricate stuff, and should never be tried by an amateur.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

So you've met ole TrollGuy eh? ;-)

Reply to
G Henslee

Our condo is concrete block and stucco. Have no idea what type original stucco was, as the building is about 40 years old. Prior to our last paint job, there were many fine cracks in stucco. Our contractor used a brushable caulk to cover fine cracks, and primed/painted over that. None have reappeared. Hubby had started to grind out cracks, in preparation for patching with concrete; painter told him it was not necessary. I haven't noticed any place that the brushable has diminished the surface texture.

Just before the paint job in 2001, hubby and I took out an old rusted fire extinguisher box that was in the outside wall. We used a concrete paver (just the right size) to use as part of the base of the recess in the wall, used textured grout patch (DAP?) for "mortar" and to cover. Half-assed technique, but it worked fine :o) The textured grout patch was similar to the old stucco finish texture, but I used a dry scrub brush to dab into the wet patch (final coat)to give it more texture to match the old stuff. I believe it was a latex based compound, and took a lot of fiddling to build up the joint as it dried. It is exterior, under roof, so doesn't get much weather. Need a statue of a naked greek god or goddess to put in the recess :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Only accredited union stucco installers should attempt to do ANY STUCCO REPAIR. It may be illegal to even consider such repairs so check with a licenced applicator before you try.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy