Strong sulfur smell from furnace

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first floor. The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace, after leaving the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where I am, is on a separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing it run all the time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor office, at least. I believe my office is directly above the basement area where the furnace is.
Is this normal, and what can be done about this?
Thanks!

UPDATE: the basement is full of smoke, and I had to breathe through my mouth to go down there. My eyes were watering. Smoke is coming form the furnace. I just shut off the furnace.

9 times out of 10, when you get a delivery, it stirs up sludge and trash in the tank and it clogs up the filters, strainers, and nozzles. Sounds like you need to call someone to come out and change them out and do a basic tune-up. I wouldn't turn it back on, either. It won't get any better.....
Sulphur or Hydrogen Sulfide? HS can/will kill you

I don't know; it smelled like rotten eggs, but the smell is gone ever since I turned off the furnace and aired everything out. Thanks for the warning!

Thanks! I just spoke to the landlord, and they are going to fix it Sunday after they buy a new nozzle.
J.

where
hearing
floor
I love cheap assed landlords...
A nozzle, by itself, WONT fix the problem. While the unit may fire for a while, they need to have it tuned, and as a hint to your landlords, you can inform them that every time the units got a nozzle change, the fire of the unit will change, and the unit MUST be correctly tuned....or it can waste oil, clog the chamber, or worse, burn through the chamber, and thats when the real fun starts.
Changing the nozzle alone, is like trying to hold a 10 inch rip in your leg shut with a bandaide.

Is that French for Band-Aid?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks Steve! I am going to give all of this info to my landlord, so hopefully she and her handyman can fix it correctly. She refuses to hire a contractor or professional oil/furnace tech, since she doesn't trust professional contractors and has to pay them.

first
furnace,
basement
my
Sounds
Sunday
the
waste
when
Word of warning....handymen dont have the $1500 tool used to set the flame on oil units. In some states, what she is doing is illegal. In my area, it would be. Her refusal to do it correctly, could, and thats just COULD, not will, or would, or such...create a condition that may be harmful to the condition of the home, or occupants. Tell her to do it right or dont bother, at least you will be breathing, cold, but breathing.
in message

Thanks Steve.
Here is an update: the second floor tenant came home (he comes here only twice a week or so), and he thinks what caused the smoke might just be because he left the furnace door open, thereby causing the smoke to pour out into the basement. And I think that's where I saw the smoke coming from when I went down there the other night. He said he already replaced the nozzle, and he is testing the furnace right now. He is a mason by trade, but also sells scrap iron. But he and his friends do all sorts of things like auto work, plumbing, furnace, electrical, etc. I think he might even get free heating oil.

This is just getting too funny. Please make sure you let us know where you live so we can read about you and the tennant upstairs dying from using the rigged oil furnace that the mason fixed while burning some free used motor oil with gasoline and everything else in the world mixed in with it. Lady, between you, the landlord and this mason hack, you all sound like the cheapest bunch of gypsies on the planet. "Free Oil" ! That is a riot. Bubba

After the landlord responded that HE would do the repair I would be on the phone to the fire department to have the furnace red tagged.
Bill

Turn it back on and add more oil. They are supposed to smoke. Dont have someone come out and look at it. That would be a waste of money. See if your brothers sisters uncles half step sons retarted step child can come take a look at it for you. Im sure he will fix er up real good and you'll have saved a bunch of money and killed yourself and the rest of your family in the process while you sleep. Then all will be well again. Bubba

Hey asshole: here's some advice: learn to read. See ya later...
Sounds like it's time to call a heating and AC guy.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Run!!

Did you ever think that maybe it needs to be serviced? Bubba
No. Call a heating repairman.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

hi, thanks for all of your posts. I have already told my landlord. They are going to try to fix it Sunday, after they go to the parts store to get some supplies like a nozzle and filter. In the meantime, we have the furnace for the second floor off. My furnace for the first floor works fine, so this should be enough to heat the second floor apartment as well for the time being.