strap antenna mast to chimney ??

Page 2 of 2
On 9/24/12 8:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

antenna mounting pipe to a treated 1x6 or 2x4. Strap the whole thing to the chimney.

From experience, strap to chimney is ok, BUT don't count on the strapping for real strength. The strength in a wind comes from how ell you do the guy wires. But putting the antenna up on a calm day is a lot easier. oh yeah watch out for the pole to accidentally punch the roof and causing a leak, so prevent that too

As others have said, using a chimney mount is quite easy, and secure if the chimney is in good condition. I've used them for decades at several different houses. If the masting is over 10 ft. and/or the antenna is large, it's best to guy the masting. I just installed a new chimney mount on my current house and bought a Channel Master 3080 chimney mount kit which has heavy duty brackets and 12 ft. long straps. I got it for $15 from Amazon.com. Some kits have straps that are only 6 feet long so measure your chimney before you buy.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:02:38 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

This was common on older homes, and worked well as long as the chinmey was solid. However, you may be in for a shock if you have a newer home, because most new homes no longer have a chimney. Modern furnaces only need a pvc pipe venting out the wall to get rid of exhaust.
Over time (years), the gases released by your chimney or flue pipe have a nasty effect on the antenna, pitting the aluminum quite badly, possibly having an impact on reception, or at least that is what I have seen at my location over a span of 5 years.

Who know where I or technology will be in 5 years...

Solid brick chimney, going all the way down to the basement, built in 1953.