Store lawn mower with full or empty tank?

Page 1 of 2
I've heard that you should use up all of the gas in the tank before it's stored for the winter but I watched this Youtube video and the guy says Briggs and Stratton recommends to fill the tank before storage. What is the CW on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_vg5zvcrQ

Here's the Briggs and Stratton site which says to only do so if you use their special additive.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocIDi956

either run it dry, or use Sta-Bil and fill it completely.
nate
N8N wrote:

Or just let it go...I've never had a lick of trouble in just cutting off the supply at the bowl and letting it run out. A fresh dollop in the carb bowl next spring and it fires right up and rest is just fine.
If storing for a _very_ long time like a year or more, I'd go to more trouble, but just over a few months winter period, not so much.
That said, either of the other alternatives isn't _that_ much trouble, so do whatever feels good to you... :)
$0.02, etc., ...
Let it run dry then pull the cord a couple times. Since doing that I havent had power equipment fail to start next season.

On Sep 25, 3:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

I've never done anything in the 7 years I've had my mower. Just leave whatever gas is in it, top it off when I get it back out in the spring. All I've ever noticed is that it takes a couple of extra pulls that first day.

and can gum up the fuel line to boot. Keep doing it if you like, but please don't recommend it to others.

I have always drained or run all fuel from any moter that I own and have always had them start first pull after storage was taught this by a master mechanic

Correct. Either will usually work. There are disadvantages to both, but I have never gone wrong doing either. On the other hand I have had problems when I forgot to take care of it at seasons end.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I've had better luck running the fuel line dry.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:46:15 +0000, Joe wrote:

Drop a tablespoon of StaBil in the tank before you mow for the last time.

That is good advice for either method. If you get it totally dry then the stabilizer would not be needed, but that does not always happen with some setups.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Do you still have the instructions for YOUR mower?
cheapest solution is to run it dry

on 9/25/2007 5:42 PM The Freon Cowboy said the following:

At $3.00 a gallon?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How about watching the weather and planning ahead - not totally filling the tank when you know you're doing the last mow of the season?

Bring the mower over to Joe's and run it over his neck a few times until the mower runs out of gasoline.

Yes, it may cost you 50 if you don't plan ahead a bit.
I've usually drained mine, but with stabilizer, it can last over the winter. Come to think of it, my mower has not had gas in it for two years now. I pay the neighbor to do mine now.
whens the last time you purchased "sta-bil" ????
c At $3.00 a gallon?f3Yes, it may cost you 50 if you don't plan ahead a bit.weI've usually drained mine, but with stabilizer, it can last over the winter. 6Come to think of it, my mower has not had gas in it for two years now. I npay the neighbor to do mine now.
on 9/26/2007 6:57 AM The Freon Cowboy said the following:

A 10 oz bottle of Sta-Bil costs around $5. 10 oz will treat 25 gallons of gas. How much gas does a lawn mower hold? One half Gal at most ? That works out to be 50 years of Sta-Bil use from one bottle. $5 divided by 50 = 10 cents per year.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Note -- Stabil has a shelf life -- I don't know what the spec says, but I do know that a two-year-old unopened bottle of Stabil had deteriorated and had to be thrown out, with black chunks of gunk floating in the liquid, so the shelf life is apparently less than two years --
I wonder if there's a product which can be used to prolong the life of Stabil --