Steep hillside covered with poision ivy:(

Page 1 of 2
I have a steep hillside covered with poision ivy:( at my driveway.
I am very allergic to it. Got very sick from steroids after exposure:(
now its very steep peraps 8 feet high and 30 feet long.
I was advised to kill everything on that hill, but fear one heavy rain will wash down mud and clog my driveway drain and pump. besides there are other plants in that mess, including stuff my mom planted before she died.
any suggestions? i would love to remove the ivy and leave what remains. i tried roundup sprayed on the ivy, it wilted a little but came back stronger than ever:(
too bad pision ivy makes you itchy its a excellent ground cover
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Don't try these yourself: 1. Stronger concentration of Round Up (try 3oz of concentrate per gallon). 2. Propane-driven weed inflameagrator 3. Big tarp(s).
HeyBub wrote:

NEVER BURN POISION IVY, the smoke can give you poision ivy in the lungs and can kill.............

[...]
Notice what I left of heybub's post. I had the same reaction though, and only noticed the "Don't" when starting to write a followup message. Easy mistake to make, but since it's been mentioned twice now, I thought i'd point it out.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Poison ivy is actually rather susceptible to Roundup when it is mixed at the proper strength -- English ivy is almost impervious to it. Are you buying the pre-mixed or do-it-yourself Roundup? I suggest the latter and get the "purple" brush-killer concentrate while you are at it -- every big-box store carries it. Mix to full strength and when you spray, wet the foliage thoroughly since a little mist isn't going to do the job. No need to have it dripping off the leaves in a stream, just a good wetting.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw wrote:

i used the premix spray bottle, sounds like that wasnt a good choice
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The pre-mix has never seemed like a good choice on an efficiency vs. cost basis, at least to me. I guess if a person had a few weeds in cracks in the patio it might be OK but a lot of $$$ goes out to buy a little bit of convenience.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
m Ransley wrote:

what did it do to you?

Its the roots that you have to destroy with Poison Ivy. It is an incredibly hardy vine/bush so good luck, not quite as bad as blackberry bushes in the Pacific Northwest but still a bear.
The first person who replied suggested a flamethrower, that would be a BAD idea for you as the smoke from the poison ivy would probably kill you (literally) as the poision would get into your lungs. The other suggestion he made was a big tarp - not a bad idea as it would starve them out for light but you could cut holes in the tarp to avoid killing the plants you want to keep.

How do you propose getting rid of the contaminated tarp afterwards? The bottom will be coated with the oils.
I vote for Roundup. It has worked well for me, but it was minimal compared to what you have..
wrote in message

I'm just throwing out ideas, no need to get angry about it.
Vector,
Mr. Pawlowski did not seem angry in his post and he asked a good question about your tarp solution. Your suggestion about cutting holes for the "good" plants also seems a bad idea since this is on a steep slope and would require an allergic individual to work closely around the ivy. Pleaser note here that I am not angry with you.
Dave M.

Already forgot about it. Just seemed like a pointless criticism at the time.
About the tarp....
I don't think this will do anything at all. The poison Ivy (a vine plant) will continue to travel along the ground until it finds some sunlight and then it will pop out. It won't die.
I rented this house once that had loads of it. I covered an area with an old tarp and dumped all my grass clippings on it all year, the damn vines worked there way to the edges and popped out and kept right on going.
I moved the next year.

Slip and slide for neighborhood kids you don't like? :)
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Burn it.

Quoted from This Old House:
Poison ivy contains a sticky, resinlike substance called urushiol, an oily substance that causes rashes and other health problems. Urushiol oil is extremely potent; a very small amount is enough to produce a rash.
Direct contact with the oil is what causes the rash, but you don't have to touch the plant to be affected. Anything that causes the oil to become airborne mowing or using a string trimmer on poison ivy, for example, or burning the plant can lead to direct contact.
A systemic herbicide is one way to kill poison ivy. It should be sprayed on the plants when they're actively growing, which draws the herbicide through the leaves and distributes it to stems and roots, which kills the plant. Applications in successive years may be required.
If application of a herbicide is not possible or not desirable, plants can be pulled out by the roots, as they were in this case.
Cover any bare skin to make sure it won't come in contact with leaves, stems, or roots. Urushiol can stay within old stems for a year, so stay vigilant even if the ivy is dead.
Wear safety goggles, gloves, a longsleeved shirt, and long pants. Carefully tape your shirtsleeves to the gloves and your pant legs to your socks. A hat is advisable as well.
Dispose of all poison ivy debris by stuffing it into plastic garbage bags. Seal each bag with a twist tie to prevent accidental contact, then dispose of the bags. Never burn poison ivy debris: the smoke can be toxic!
When you remove your gloves after the work is complete, rub your hands with a cream containing a solvent such as mineral spirits. This will remove any traces of urushiol. Remember that urushiol is an oil, so a solvent is required to remove it. Check your pharmacy for suitable products; some may be referred to as poison ivy wash.
To prevent poison ivy from returning to an area, cover the soil with a deep layer of mulch.
End of quote.
Oren They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
Oren wrote:

orange cleaner with pumis is the best stuff I have found to clean your body with after working with poison ivy. the orange cuts the oil and the pumis gives you that abrasiveness you NEED so bad when you have poison ivy. kind of like scratching without scratching.

I get itchy thinking about it. Can't say I have been affected by poison ivy, but as a young boy I was warned about "using" the "wrong leaf" in the forest.