Steel Beam Prices

Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) beam might cost per foot or total price. I'd be buying 2. Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. I'm in northern NY state. Thanks.

Reply to
John

t cost per foot or total price. =A0I'd be buying 2. =A0 Just received my pl= an in the mail and everyone's closed. =A0I'm in northern NY state. =A0Thank= s. =A0

Are you starting construction over the weekend...? ;)

Chill until Monday. Local pricing is the only thing that will matter. Even if someone on here is in your (remote) neck of the woods, the price they get probably won't be the same price you'll get.

RicodJour

t cost per foot or total price. =A0I'd be buying 2. =A0 Just received my pl= an in the mail and everyone's closed. =A0I'm in northern NY state. =A0Thank= s. =A0

weighs 19 lbs /foot at approx $0.65/lb =3D $12.35 /ft

Reply to
kato
50-60 cents a pound should get you in the ball park.
Reply to
DanG

Is that delivered?

RicodJour

Not in my area. Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question was for purchase price. Taxes would also be additional. Delivery might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the original post.

Reply to
DanG

That was my point in my first post. It's not a big ticket item, and the 'extras' like delivery, one-time-buyer status and tax will make a big difference in the final cost.

RicodJour

Depends on the dealer. Also depends on the buyer's flexibility in taking delivery. About two years ago, I bought four beams from a dealer I'd never done business with before, and they delivered free of charge -- probably because I was willing to wait to get the steel until they had another delivery nearby.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Rico's original post is correct.....only the local delivered cost matters.

I'm in SoCal, so I have a significant number of steel suppliers within

30 miles. The cost for hot rolled steel shapes varies all over the map.....from as little as 30=A2 to as much as $1 a pound. It depends on what's in stock, the popularity of the desired section......and how hungry the supplier be.

I typically figure $1 pound delivered so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get the real quote (except for square tube which is often very expensive).

OP, plus with a 17' finished length most likely you'll be paying for the whole 20' plus a cut charge.

Why such a shallow section? Head height restrictions? A shallow beam is way less efficient use of material than a deeper one.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

And even on delivery, delivery on site versus delivery in place, can make a big difference. When I was a wee lad, my father always used steel beams down the center of basements, versus the ganged 2x10s most other builders in the area used. He tried real hard to not have the steel delivered until the block walls were cured, footers for the posts were in place, and the posts themselves bolted down. It made it a whole lot easier to drop it right in place with the crane on the truck.

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Yep, I've seen that before. My parents have a vacation cottage in a small town in northern Michigan, where the support beams in the basement are reclaimed trolley track.

Reply to
Doug Miller

t cost per foot or total price. =A0I'd be buying 2. =A0 Just received my pl= an in the mail and everyone's closed. =A0I'm in northern NY state. =A0Thank= s.

My first instinct might be to check out some of the scrap metal places for a deal on price but the cost of the things may be the least of your worries. Getting it delivered may csot more than the beams unless you can DIY. If they can be found at a scrap yard yiu could probably get them for about $.25 a pound 2 to 3 time that for new. This is something you could probably rent a trailer to move if you have a vehicle that will pull it. Renting a trailer may cost $50 or so a day. The local tool rental place here has them. Where you buy the beams should load them for you . You can unload them by chaining the ends to a tree amd pulling the trailer from underneath them.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE