Stationary Home Generator Questions

Referring specifically to a 10,000 watt propane-fired unit with automatic transfer switch.
1) Do you get considerably more "miles per gallon" of propane if you use it only for absolute necessities, i.e., furnace, water from well, and one refrigerator?
2) Can the electrician hook up a large stationary unit so that it is connected only to those three?
TIA, Jack
Most of what is left (other than A/C) are small users of electricity.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hook up what you can, a few lights, heat, TV fridge, freezer, well. Use what you need to. Fuel consumtion will increase as the load increases, so hook up what you can, and let your fingers control what is on! The electrician can hook it up to one bare 25 watt lght bulb if you want to, but why not take advantage of what you can! The minimum in my mind would be hall lights, bathroom lights, kitchen lights and outlets, heat, water, fridge and freezer. You may want to connect your entertainment center up too. GReg

Depends on what you mean by MPG. With minimal load (no call for heat, refrig, water) your are getting 0 "MPG", just like when you stop at a stoplight. You are idling and doing no work. Total waste

The way it works is, you carefully decide which circuits to switch over to the new generator panel, which has 2 isolated feeds. If you can afford the generator, you can afford the new panel. At 10kw, you have 83 amps at 120v, more than some peoples' services. Load her up!
In

What's the point of the two feeds? In my home at least, the only things that run all the time are the refrigerators and freezers, and I'd want them on regardless. Everything else has an on/off switch or can at least be unplugged with no difficulty.
Isn't the second feed just an unneeded complication and expense for most non-industrial users?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@visi.com